NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   flu shot? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/59057-flu-shot.html)

kristy 11-07-2008 12:08 AM

flu shot?

Hi,
I am still fairly new to this and was wondering if the flu shot is safe for people with MG. Do any of you ever get one?

I hope all of you are doing well!

redtail 11-07-2008 12:27 AM

Hi Kristy,

I've had a flu shot for the past few years, and have had no reactions.
As long as the vacination is not a live vacine its ok.
I think having the flu shot has certainly helped, some members of my family have had terrible flus this year, and I have missed them so far, but the flu shot only generally covers a very limited number/strands of the "flu".

Hope this helps a little
redtail

neutro 11-07-2008 04:22 AM

Hi Kristy,
Two weeks ago I asked the same question to my neuro and the answer was: "Since you are rather stable with your MG, you may have a flu shot without any problem, it might however be less effective since you are on Cellcept"…
Last year the answer was : " I would prefer you to skip it" but at that time I still had many MG symptoms and was still increasing the steroids.
Maurice.

Alan53 11-07-2008 06:36 AM

Hi Kristy
My Dr advised me to have a flu jab which i did I'm also new to MG but understand we have to be careful of all those nasty bugs that course's colds and flu
i think its always best to ask your Dr
Good luck Alan:)

erinhermes 11-07-2008 10:51 AM

Hello! My neuro, GP and hematologist all insisted I get a flu shot. There were no "maybe's" about it.

I did get the shot and it was fine. No pain, nothing (and I am the biggest baby ever when it comes to shots/needles)...........:D

Hang in there and let us all know how you are when you have some time!

Erin:D

guyanesebeauti 11-28-2008 11:55 AM

flu shot

hi evry1 im 16 and had the flu for 2 weeks i had the fever and everything with it, sore muscles etc has anyone my age had the flu shot and it worked for them, or is it a good idear for my age? help plz xx

MissyGirl 11-28-2008 12:26 PM

It would be a horrible idea for you right now, since it only supposedly "prevents" the flu, and does nothing to help you once you are already sick. You should be past the worst of it now, and will be immune for the rest of the winter.

Next year, check into the antiviral drug "Tamiflu" to be prescribed by your doctor. It will help you get over the flu quickly if you get sick again.

The BEST way to prevent the flu is to use lots of warm water and soap on a frequent basis, avoid crowds, and keep your hands away from your face.

Feel better soon.

Missy

littlekitten 11-28-2008 09:10 PM

I was advised by my neurologist and oncologist NOT to have it.