NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   One more Rebif question! (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/39209-rebif-question.html)

Carolynj 02-16-2008 01:05 PM

One more Rebif question!

Sorry about this - I'll get it all out soon, I promise! :D

Injection sites - I am going to run out (I am getting red spots) and I didn't like the front of my thigh! One day, before I really knew better, I used my "saddle bag". Any one else? The nurse at MSLifelines told me it really wasn't a suggested site but I have plenty of extra meat there! And I really didn't feel it at all.

So my question - does any one else used sites that aren't "suggested"? Aren't we just looking for areas that are extra fluffy? ;)

PunkDizzle 02-16-2008 01:15 PM

the nurse they sent to train me said "anywhere you can pinch a inch is fine to inject into" i don't know if that is good advice or not but i never had any problems doing it that way..

i also did not like the top of my legs..it was always a bleeding fest.. but the sides of my legs worked great..

Kitty 02-16-2008 02:08 PM

I'm not on Rebif - I take Beta but I inject into the saddle bag area and have never had a problem with it. I don't understand why ANY area isn't OK as long as the medication gets into your system. Like you, I was running out of areas to inject in. I asked the Beta nurse and she said the same thing Punk said - as long as you can pinch and inch you're fine. Works out great for me - I can pinch an inch almost anywhere except the top of my foot! :D

Taffy 02-16-2008 02:34 PM

Hey C..I have been using. Oh..I am a user of Rebif for six years now and still get those carppy red spots that then turn to a nice carppy bruised looking spot.

One of my favorite areas to inject myself, I just love to give myself shots by the way, :Noooo: is the side of my hip.

ewizabeth 02-16-2008 03:06 PM

Way back when I was on Rebif... my favorite spots were the lower stomach and the heinie areas.

I always warmed up the spot first, and then rubbed gently after the shot for about 2-3 minutes to disperse the meds. That worked great for me, and I loved the Rebif injections better than any other! :cool:

Carolynj 02-19-2008 12:48 PM

As long as I stay out of the red spot - can I inject right beside it? My spots aren't going away before I cycle back around to that site for next time......it doesn't hurt or feel sensitive - it is just still pink.......

Last night my chosen spot was right at the top of my rear. Burned like the dickens!!! :eek: I am hoping it was because I didn't take it out yesterday morning - maybe it was still too cool??? I would rather not do that again!! :D

the Bird 02-19-2008 11:20 PM

Hey!

When I was on Rebif, I was told by someone - doctor, I think... I honestly don't remember if it was my doc or the nurse from Rebif....

that using my lovely saddlebags was fine!!! I too could not stand my thighs being shot or my upper arms....

Call the doc and ask him/her if he thinks it is ok...

cassidy5 02-20-2008 01:09 AM

I also use the saddle areas-----mid and upper. Front of thighs---mid and upper. Stomach---low, mid, upper both sides. Butt--both sides Arms-both sides. I think that's 18 sites.

I'm on Rebif, so I can do the injections for six weeks without injecting in the same site----------lessens the change of necrosis or infection.

I also read the "map" that came with the meds. But I thought about all this subqu tissue some of us gals have on the sides--------why not try that saddle area-----not good for much of anything else, certainly not my self esteem. Now see, I made these saddle bags necessary for my medical regime. Hopefully, but I doubt it, I can see these aging thighs as something usefull now.

Carolynj 02-21-2008 10:29 AM

So...I went ahead and used my saddle bag area last night - it stung like a son of a gun! :wink: I guess that is something I will just have to learn to live with huh? My stomach is my favorite place but I realize I can't use it all the time!

The past couple of injections (last night was my third at 44 mcg) - and this is not related to the site :D - have made me feel really CR*PPY in the middle of the night. Like everything hurts and is really stiff - bad! Last night my ears even hurt - not on the inside but the outside! :eek: Please tell me this isn't forever??? My body WILL get used to the 44mcg like it did the other doses - right???? :confused:

I know I can do this - I just like to know there is light at the end of this tunnel!!!!

JoeMac 02-23-2008 09:07 PM

My first 44 made me sleep like I had fever but it did get better, I really don't even know I took a shot any more, I feel so crappy all the time anyway and it isn't any different and isn't any worse....but that part is not related to the Rebif

I have just NOT felt better since I started taking shots last February 07, but things HAVE been good with MRI's since starting Rebif, I hope it does well for you too!

Joe