NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   feel like im being strangled (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/157370-feel-im-strangled.html)

Motors Mommy 09-16-2011 11:07 PM

feel like im being strangled

Ok, is this a weird MS symptom? Anxiety? Stress? Its freaking me out. I remember being in grade school and not being able to wear t-necks because of this feeling. What is it?????

Cranky, stressed out mommy of 3 kids, 3dogs and 3 cats

lefthanded 09-17-2011 01:29 AM

I saw your other post. It could be the stress you are under. Anxiety and stress can cause some uncomfortable symptoms.

Lynn 09-17-2011 08:12 AM

I got a really tight feeling just below my voice box once. It hurt to breathe - like I couldn't fill up my lungs, it felt kind of like I was swallowing over something, and I couldn't lay down without pain in my chest and upper back. Then when that happened, my heart started racing, and I was gettiing palpitations. I scared the you-know-what-out-of-me.

My neuro said something about an oesophageal spasm, or the hug - not sure exactly, but definitely scary.

Hope that you are ok. You should certainly get it checked out, even if just for your peace of mind.

Lyn

msarkie 09-19-2011 12:46 PM

Yeah, I get this too. I think mine can be from different things. Is yours definitely tightness in your throat or neck? Or does it feel more like your chest can't expand to get enough oxygen? I've found massage to be very helpful in any case, there are trigger points on my back and neck that they press, and it's like a knot releases. Believe me, it's cheaper and more effective than going to the doctor! When I went to the ER complaining of shortness of breath and feeling lightheaded, they kept me around for a few hours, patted me on the head, and dismissed me with a rx for Valium and a bill for $800.

Jomar 09-19-2011 01:07 PM

I was going to mention spasms & trigger points also.
If spasms in the neck/throat muscles are strong enough they can pull the top rib up into the collarbone area, squeezing the nerves & blood flow that goes thru those places.

[I remember being in grade school and not being able to wear t-necks because of this feeling.]

Sometimes there is an extra set of cervical ribs, but if you had many MRIs of the head/neck they should have shown - unless drs/technicians didn't "see" them.
You can read more about cervical ribs on our Thoracic Outlet Syndrome forum if you want to learn more. Or use the forum search to find specific posts/threads about it.

Because of your statement about being a child and having this feeling, it just made me wonder...and want to mention it.

Debbie D 09-19-2011 02:11 PM

I've always been sensitive to things around my neck...and also notice that when I am stressed and the muscles are tense, my neck is too...I do relaxation exercises including the neck/throat area...sometimes it helps, sometimes not.
Hope you feel relief soon:hug::hug:

Catch 09-19-2011 09:25 PM

I get lots of neck issues as well. It feels like someone is twisting my esophogus.:eek: My gastro guy had never heard of anything like that. He doesn't have any MS pts except me.

msarkie 09-21-2011 11:39 AM

Thanks, Jomar! I hadn't realized that about the rib being pulled out of place by the muscle spasms. I've had that happen on several occasions and my chiro has had to pop it back into place. I didn't know what was causing it. Very painful!

Lady 09-23-2011 01:18 AM

Hi MM,
Also get your Thyroid checked. I have nodules in mine and a goiter. I hurts in that area and I can't wear turtle neck shirts or scarves. Nothing around the neck. Even rubbing the neck dry with a towel makes me cough. I am on thyroid meds and have it checked annually with Ultrasound for an increase in growth.

I also had extra ribs removed. It didn't give me the same feeling. I had pain and numbness in one arm/hand and it was turning blue-ish. Maybe this could be of help to you to know?

I also get the MS hug. that feels different too. It is hard to figure out. Good luck.:hug:

hgrace 09-30-2011 05:33 PM

Spasms

Those are really scary. It often happens when eating, just taking in a little too much air can sometimes shut off the area in your diaphragm, and yes, it makes it feel like a panic attack. Try whatever techniques you can to de-stress and eat small bites. Try not to take in too much air when eating, because that can make it worse (talking/laughing, etc).

I'm so sorry to hear that you're dealing with this--I know someone who faces it often and has had to go to the ER a few times. There is a special shot that you can get in the ER that relaxes the muscles. If you feel like you are being crushed/strangled, lack of oxygen can become a serious issue. Go to the ER if it ever gets too serious... Awful stuff, wish I had better news. Take care, Heather