NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   facial muscles (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/107507-facial-muscles.html)

Aunt Bean 11-07-2009 06:43 AM

facial muscles

Does anyone else have facial muscles that do opposite expressions from your immediate emotions? When I get my "funny bone tickled" my face appears to be angry or crying. It is like they are drawing up real tight in the wrong direction.

pegleg 11-08-2009 02:49 PM

Aunt Bean

the "masked face" is very copmmon in PD, as well as your facial muscles seemingly doing the opposite of w hat you would think.

PD is due to a deficiency of dopamine - a chemical that creates the "smooth" jump of a nerve impulse from synapse to synapse. I like to think of it as a wireless network, and something is set up wrong in your profile.

Dopamine affects EVERY muscle in our bodies - that's why we have bladder problems, are prone to pneumonia, have difficulty swallowing, and have constipation. Likewise, when the chemicals are imbalanced, we sometimes get what neurologists call a "brisk" reflex. I think that's what you must be describing. And I see this in PWP frequently. Just pull out that photo album. PWP either have a masked (expressionless) face, or they look like a deer caught in headlights.

lol

Peggy

Aunt Bean 11-25-2009 07:05 AM

Facial muscles

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegleg (Post 587493)
the "masked face" is very copmmon in PD, as well as your facial muscles seemingly doing the opposite of w hat you would think.

PD is due to a deficiency of dopamine - a chemical that creates the "smooth" jump of a nerve impulse from synapse to synapse. I like to think of it as a wireless network, and something is set up wrong in your profile.

Dopamine affects EVERY muscle in our bodies - that's why we have bladder problems, are prone to pneumonia, have difficulty swallowing, and have constipation. Likewise, when the chemicals are imbalanced, we sometimes get what neurologists call a "brisk" reflex. I think that's what you must be describing. And I see this in PWP frequently. Just pull out that photo album. PWP either have a masked (expressionless) face, or they look like a deer caught in headlights.

lol

Peggy

wELL, EVEN THE MUSCLES IN MY FACE HAVE BEEN HAPPILY AFFECTED by the fava tincture. I still feel an odd sensation part of the time in my lips and bite or suck my lower lip alot...but I am only using 2 drops of tincture a day and want to keep the dose as low as possible / possibly some of the lip problem is now become a habit that may quit after a while???? I hope

oyster 11-26-2009 12:09 AM

lip sucking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Bean (Post 593567)
wELL, EVEN THE MUSCLES IN MY FACE HAVE BEEN HAPPILY AFFECTED by the fava tincture. I still feel an odd sensation part of the time in my lips and bite or suck my lower lip alot...but I am only using 2 drops of tincture a day and want to keep the dose as low as possible / possibly some of the lip problem is now become a habit that may quit after a while???? I hope

from what i understand ,lipsucking, which i do alot, can be a form of dyskinesia. i also suffer a twiching tongue, and i choke often when drinking water- very inconvenient. i have a great cranial-sacral therapist. the only person ive met who could offer much for my facial symptoms.

archie

kk13 11-26-2009 07:07 AM

Can PD impact the most important of muscles?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oyster (Post 593833)
from what i understand ,lipsucking, which i do alot, can be a form of dyskinesia. i also suffer a twiching tongue, and i choke often when drinking water- very inconvenient. i have a great cranial-sacral therapist. the only person ive met who could offer much for my facial symptoms.

archie

You say that our lack of dopamine production interferes with comunication from the brain to the body's muscles. However, happily, I have never read about the largest muscle in the body being impacted by PD: the heart.

Are we more likely than other non-PDers to heart attack or other heart problems related to our PD? And if so, is there anything we can do to minimize that potential impact?

Anyone with any info on this I would appreciate hearing from.

chasmo 11-26-2009 07:52 PM

PD does affect the nerves to the heart. Their is a nuclear medicine test that will show this in the autonomic nervous system. Luckily the only symptom of PDs as it affects the nerves, is low blood pressure.

Charlie

Aunt Bean 12-02-2009 06:29 AM

I have the swallowing thing too, have choked on my saliva and need to have a little soup with my crackers...so there is no liquid/solid in one bite. Cantalope , which I love, is one of the worst things to try to eat for choking..a bit scarey sometimes