NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Thymectomy booked in for June 25th (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/89513-thymectomy-booked-june-25th.html)

mm80 06-11-2009 02:27 AM

Thymectomy booked in for June 25th

Hi People,

sorry I kind of disappeared from the raider for past month or so, been extremely busy with University exams and assessments and although I have been reading most post I haven't had a chance to reply to any or questions that I have received. We ll I hope everyone has been feeling good, I have been pretty good thanks to iVig but what a surprise to me, my neuro recommended having a thymectomy, referred me to thoracic surgeon and now i have the operation booked in 2 weeks and this all happened within a week so I'm kind of freaking out, my worst fear is saying goodbye to my kids and never waking up again, i know im thinking of the extreme, fingers crossed it will all go well, so I have a busy 2 weeks ahead of me "Pink Concert" next tuesday them wed, thurs, fri iVig following monday pre op appointment then surgery on thursday yaaay, so wish me luck, I have to rush need to get kids ready for bed, will post again later

Have a good night :o)

Melissa:confused:

xmas 25 06-11-2009 09:29 AM

good luck on your upcoming weeks! isn't it funny how we moms have to get all our ducks in a row? i used to spend 24 hrs before being hosp for another illness- vomiting etc but i had to get all the shopping laundrylista made beds changed-but remember to slow down alot of those things don't matter the kids would rather you sat and read or palyed a game with them! prayers are with you!!:hug:

rezmommy 06-11-2009 09:46 AM

Melissa,
I had the thymectomy in February, 2009. I have three kids 8, 4, & 3 so I know all about your concerns. I had about two weeks to prepare for my surgery as well. I went through a whole range of emotions during those two weeks and finally ended up in a very good place when I was wheeled into the operating room. The surgery went very well and I am doing so much better now.

I know that you will do great! Take care ~ Melanie

Tbarney 06-11-2009 11:18 AM

Good luck Melissa. I had my thymectomy in Aug. 2008. I knew I needed surgery one month before that and then had the surgery 2 weeks after that. I have a 10 and 14 year old. My husband and kids were a great help and very supportive, they still are. I am a teacher and was getting ready to start a new school year, so I had to get things in order there.

Have fun at the Pink Concert!

Joanmarie63 06-11-2009 11:30 AM

I had my thymectomy in May 1991 and I had a 3 month old son and 9 year old son so I know what you mean about getting things together. They have come a long way since 1991 so I am sure your surgery will go very well just remember that a folded up sheet or very firm pillow will be your best friend for a while after the surgery {you will be holding it close to your chest} Keep smiling :D

erinhermes 06-11-2009 04:21 PM

Hi Melissa!

Ahhhhhh......surgery...i remember seeing my surgeon on a Friday and being given the option of having my surgery for Monday or Tuesday.....I chose Tuesday:o...

On the positive side, you are getting IV IG b/4 the surgery! That will work wonders in making sure you are STRONG!:D

Getting all of your ducks in a row is just smart. Nothing is going to happen - you are going to be GREAT, but it may help alleviate your anxiety..I know it did for me! I must have packed and repacked 50 times! LOL! Can you say OCD?

Make sure to have a chest pillow ready and waiting for you - you are going to need it! You may also want to sleep sitting up for a while - hurts a lot less that way.

The absolute BEST part is that you may go into REMISSION after your surgery! REMISSION!:D Have you read Brennan's posts? They are truly inspiring! He is WORKING and working out! Picture it!

Big, big hugs sweetie!
Erin:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm80 (Post 521939)
Hi People,

sorry I kind of disappeared from the raider for past month or so, been extremely busy with University exams and assessments and although I have been reading most post I haven't had a chance to reply to any or questions that I have received. We ll I hope everyone has been feeling good, I have been pretty good thanks to iVig but what a surprise to me, my neuro recommended having a thymectomy, referred me to thoracic surgeon and now i have the operation booked in 2 weeks and this all happened within a week so I'm kind of freaking out, my worst fear is saying goodbye to my kids and never waking up again, i know im thinking of the extreme, fingers crossed it will all go well, so I have a busy 2 weeks ahead of me "Pink Concert" next tuesday them wed, thurs, fri iVig following monday pre op appointment then surgery on thursday yaaay, so wish me luck, I have to rush need to get kids ready for bed, will post again later

Have a good night :o)

Melissa:confused:

Pat 110 06-11-2009 06:50 PM

Good luck Melissa! Having the IVIG before the surgery will make a big difference and help make you stronger. I had my thymectomy in Nov. 02 and I am so much better and take only mestinon. In time you may go into remission! You are going to do just fine. As everyone has said, a pillow is going to be your best friend. We will all be keeping you in our thoughts & prayers.;)

Hugs,
Pat

Tbarney 06-11-2009 09:17 PM

Joanmarie, good reminder with the pillow. I had to bear hug mine whenever I sneezed, those sneezes hurt bad. I was afraid I was going to break my chest open when I sneezed. :)

maryec 06-14-2009 10:18 PM

I hope you get fabulous results, melissa ! Good luck !
Mary

momma3love 06-14-2009 10:35 PM

I just had my thymectomy as well. April this year. Are you having the transcervical, where they dont break open the sternum? Thats what I had. I hope this is an option for you. Either way I truly wish you luck. I am sure everything will go fine! I have 3 boys, 8, 9 and 11. I had to be in the hospital for 10 days. For plasma and then the surgery and recovery. That was very scary cuz hospital was hour and a half away from home! So I feel for you I truly do.