NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Just a vent on moving~ (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/168428-vent-moving.html)

KittyLady 04-19-2012 01:27 PM

Just a vent on moving~

My dh and I are moving in a few days. Before my flare this past October, we had moved into a nice apt on a third floor. We loved it!! Then the flare. Now I cant do the stairs anymore, so we are moving to a nice place with absolutely NO stairs!! Im soooo wiped out from packing. I have the dizziness so bad, I cant bend down or look up, without falling over. I fell once today already. This move is taking sooo long because I cant handle the fatigue. I grab one box and tape it shut and my body says "well, thats enough" :thud:

My dh looks at me and says "tired already?" Sometimes I do wish he could feel what Im feeling for just one hour so he could understand what I feel all day every day. Selfish of me, maybe. Probably.

Kitty 04-19-2012 01:35 PM

I sure do hope you're having someone else move you. All that lifting, carrying and walking will be hard. I couldn't do it. I get exhausted just changing the sheets on the bed.

I have a terrible time with stairs. I have a place with no stairs......inside or out. I love it. I hope you enjoy your new place. Tell your DH to read here on this forum and we'll tell him how hard it can be to just try and do everyday things with MS.

:hug:

KittyLady 04-19-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 871642)
I sure do hope you're having someone else move you. All that lifting, carrying and walking will be hard. I couldn't do it. I get exhausted just changing the sheets on the bed.

I have a terrible time with stairs. I have a place with no stairs......inside or out. I love it. I hope you enjoy your new place. Tell your DH to read here on this forum and we'll tell him how hard it can be to just try and do everyday things with MS.

:hug:

Oh yes. We have movers coming. Im lucky I can pack a box. Once its packed, dh tapes it shut and moves it for me. There's no way I could move a box. I feel so useless with this move. Im feeling like Im barely doing anything to help. I know I am, but, compared to our other move, Im barely moving. I use to be able to pack up 2 to 2 1/2 rooms a day, now, Im lucky if I can get one box done. Before the flare, I would have had this place packed in a week, now, its taken me over 2 months to get where I am now with the packing. S L O W is the word. Problem is, I push myself so hard one day, Im out of commission for the next 2-3 days. Bedridden and barely able to move. I really hate MS, not that anyone loves it or anything....

Kitty 04-19-2012 02:20 PM

Please try to ration your energy.....especially with unpacking. That requires you to unpack it, put it away and then dispose of the packing paper and boxes.

I'm not a good one to give advice on taking it easy, though. :rolleyes: I tend to want to "get it all done". Hopefully your DH will be able to help you.

Dejibo 04-19-2012 04:33 PM

moving is such hard work! Bless you!:hug:

SallyC 04-19-2012 06:06 PM

I should have moved from my house years ago, instead I made it as handicapped accessible as possible. Stair lift to the basement, a scooter ramp to the outside, through the garage, a new bathrm, easier to get in and out of in a scooter, and all laminate wood floors througout, again easier to navigate scooter and much easier to keep clean.:)

All this to avoid moving.:D:p:D So I know what you mean, (((((KittyLady))))).

Kitty 04-19-2012 06:47 PM

You know you can check with the moving company and see if they provide unpacking services. Usually it only involves them taking the items out of the box and setting them on a flat surface. No putting away or anything. But they should take your empty boxes and all your packing paper with them when they're finished.

agate 04-20-2012 10:28 AM

I moved about two and a half years ago, and it took me over a year to get over the experience, even though the movers did about a third of the packing because I just couldn't finish all of it. The first time in my life, and I've moved about 16 times, that I've ever had to pay movers to pack... And I had a couple of months to do the packing in.

I can understand avoiding moving! I hope I never have to move again.

The movers I asked wouldn't do unpacking.

But my attitude toward unpacking is: make sure that the things you need most are in boxes you've clearly labelled and can get at easily. The rest of the boxes can probably sit there for a long, long time.

Take your time and enjoy the unpacking. It's one of the few things about moving that can be enjoyable--finding new places for your belongings. Since you don't want to have to move them around again, give a lot of thought to where you want to put each thing.

You can sit there and think about where to put the things while you listen to some relaxing music, and if things don't get put away in a hurry, who cares?

Good luck with your move, KittyLady! Sounds as if you're making a wise move.