NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Going under the bright lights again (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/68570-bright-lights.html)

Nikko 01-06-2009 04:07 PM

Going under the bright lights again

Well, I knew it was coming, sooner or later. I am having lower back surgery on Feb. 12th at Northwest Hospital in Tucson on LaCholla Rd.
The surgery will be about 3 hours, and I will be in the hospital 2 days or so. They will be putting in 2 RODS AND SCREWS- Titaninum like my neck plat and screws, after they fix/repair L-5. Then there will be physical therapy at some point afterwards, won't be able to sit for more than 20 min. at a time afterwards. Been there, done that too.
I will not be able to drive for a couple of weeks, total recovery is 10wks.
It has to be done, it has to be fixed. I need to be out of pain, pain killers do not really work at all anymore.
I can't wash a floor or vacuum, because the next day I am in agony.
Dirk went with me, the Neurosurgeon, went over everything with us, sat and showed us the MRI, that they now put on a CD. I like him, very informative, knows my history of neck/and previous L-5 (lower back surgery in 1989). Plus my 2 level c-spine (neck) with fusion and plate and screws. He said I will do fine.
So, here I go again....................got to get a Medical power of attorney and I should get a living will. I have to stop smoking at LEAST 3 wks prior to surgery, which I will do, as I have done before, using the Nicotrol Inhaler. So, I will fuse. They now have this type of disc which is artificail, plus some cadeavor bone.
I said so when are we going to do this, so he made a point of the no smoking or they won't operate. I said well, ok can it be after Superbowl, he laughed, he said why who are you going for, I said well I was going for the Dolphins until last w/e, he said well I can't talk, he's a Bear's fan. LOL He has a good sense of humor, he is very well known here, director, head of this and that.
So, how was your Tuesday?????????????????????
Hugs, Nikko:grouphug:
If God brings it to you - God will bring you through it.

Curious 01-06-2009 06:19 PM

:hug: Nikko. Lots of prayers and hugs.

Dmom3005 01-06-2009 06:25 PM

Sending you hugs and prayers. I'm rooting for you.

donna

bizi 01-06-2009 07:37 PM

wow, nikko, you are handling this well.
It sounds very scarey, glad that you have dirk to support you, be there with you.
(((((HUGS))))
beth

Mari 01-07-2009 06:56 AM

Dear Nikki,
You are doing very well handling this by seeing the surgeon and getting the surgery set up.
He sounds like a good dr who will give you good results.
M.

Nikko 01-07-2009 08:21 PM

Thanks everyone.......I will get through this, I always do.:rolleyes:

At least I will be able to be free of pain afterwards or I should say after the recovery time and when I fuse completely, and pain killers, and do the things I need to do and like to do, and not suffer the next day.

Oh, I am scared, but that's normal, it will get worse as it gets closer.:confused:

Picking up the Nicotrol Inhaler tomorrow, my quit day is Jan 12th, my surgery day is Feb 12th, so that is over the 3 wks you need to be quit. They won't operate if you still smoke, they check you, because a SMOKER has a 50-50 chance of this type of surgery being successful.:eek:

So, I've quit before, and I have no choice but to again, and I hope this time, I do not go back to smoking once I get a green light that all is fine.

:grouphug:Nikko

BJ 01-07-2009 10:37 PM

I know and understand your apprehension Nikko. But I'm praying this is the end of your pain and you get through this with flying colors :hug:

Dmom3005 01-08-2009 10:35 PM

Nikko

Not only prayers for the surgery but how can we help
keep the smoke free thoughts going after.

IT would be the best new years resolution for you.

Donna

Pamster 01-09-2009 08:45 AM

Oh Nikko, I hope it works out well for you, I can't imagine how hard it's going to be recovering from back surgery, but you CAN and WILL do it with flying colors! Hang in there and don't overdo it. Can you get any help to clean house? You really shouldn't be doing any of that on your own....

Nikko 01-09-2009 11:03 AM

After the surgery there is to be NO LIFTING, BENDING OR CARRYING.

As far as the house, Dirk is really good with that and cooking too. He doesn't even want me doing laundry, cleaning NOW, but I do, I figure the damage is done and it is, he saw everything too at the surgeons, so I will be laying down a lot at first, can only sit for 20 min, then have to get up and walk around. I will see the surgeon 3 wks after the surgery, then I can drive too.
Picked up my Nicotrol Inhaler prescription yesterday, my last cigs will be Jan 11th (Sun). Dirk is going to quit with me.

Had my p-doc appt yesterday, she gave me a stronger medication for anxiety, and added another low dose anti-depression med.

Tired today, must be the new medication.

Going to rest, yesterday was a long day, because where I go is a ride, then they had my appt. time screwed up, or I did. Then after p-doc had to see my new case mgr for paperwork. Then pharmacy....left at 11am, got home from all this at 4pm............................

Have a great weekend. Nikko:grouphug: