NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   acetyl l-carnitine & alpha lipoic acid (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/184459-acetyl-carnitine-alpha-lipoic-acid.html)

mspennyloafer 02-23-2013 11:12 AM

acetyl l-carnitine & alpha lipoic acid

ive read mixed opinions

for max absorption,

should these be taken together (in a formula) or separately? thanks!

mrsD 02-23-2013 12:52 PM

Lipoic acid should be taken on an empty stomach.

The carnitine also has limits to absorption, so large doses should
be broken up into smaller ones more frequently instead.

There is a new lipoic acid called R-lipoic stabilized (NaRALA), which is very absorbable, and more efficient.
Doctor's Best offers it reasonably... which can be found on Amazon.

These two may be combined in one product but that would have the old form ALA which is not well absorbed, and only 1/2 of it is the active R type.

I suggest using them separately. Get 250mg acetyl carnitine,
and take one twice a day. And one R-lipoic stablized 100mg a day. That would be better I think, since you can control doses of each.

mspennyloafer 02-23-2013 05:51 PM

Awesome. Thank you, just saved me an hour of searching.
Looks like i need to do some shopping :)

mspennyloafer 02-24-2013 11:32 AM

so to regenerate nerves from an old injury... im ordering this today

stabilized r lipoic
ala
benfotiamine
ubiquinol
vitamin e (not sure if i need this but its cheap)

in addition to my current regimen--
jarrow b right
lots of mg
vitamin d3
iodoral like once every week or two, the dosage is massive

im not ordering krill oil because i dont think i need to? ive had wsr and hs-crp tested several times and it's always low which i means i dont have inflammation.

mrsD 02-24-2013 12:17 PM

I think either fish oil or krill oil, will provide the fatty acids, that
make up the myelin sheath of the axons of the nerves.

Some nerve damage is compression of these axons, and so they
need the building blocks to reform the insulation made from the fats.

Other damages, mostly chemical and drug, or toxin, may poison the mitochondria of the nerve body cell...which controls its energy production. The lipoic acid, carnitine, magnesium, CoQ-10, work on helping the mitochondria.

You don't need both ALA and Stabilized R- Lipoic acid. The R-lipoic is the new improved form of the older racemic ALA (which needs high doses to work).

mspennyloafer 02-24-2013 05:03 PM

Thank you.

My mistake i was getting my acronyms confused i meant acetly l carnatine

This is from an injury. Not sure if its compression or traction maybe both

mspennyloafer 02-25-2013 12:15 PM

im at work so i cant test but im pretty sure the ubiquinol is lowering my blood pressure too much, i feel really heavy and spacy

Ruby Cumming 02-28-2013 07:59 AM

Acetyl L Carnitine & Alpha Lipoic Acid

I don't know about taking these two together for an injury, but I've always taken these two together for anti-aging benefits:

I read a study which said that Acetyl-L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid have been shown to reduce damage to mitochondria, the part of a cell which produces energy and is thought to be compromised in aging - some research findings published in the US journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS), in 2002 describes how aged rats were given oral acetyl-L-carnitine and lipoic acid. As well as reducing mitochondrial aging in the rats’ brains, the supplementation reversed the already present signs of aging.

At the moment I'm taking an Acetyl L Carnitine & Alpha Lipoic Acid supplement made by Metabolics Ltd - they've already put the two together in one supplement which is really handy, so you don't have to worry about getting the balance of each ingredient right.