NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   loss of sensation in feet and hands (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/167380-loss-sensation-feet-hands.html)

pearl1925 03-31-2012 10:28 AM

loss of sensation in feet and hands

IN the past 12 months I have had a progressive numbness and tingling in my feet and legs . It now involves my fingers and wrists area. It is not painful but has a sensation of numbness. I have been on high dosage of Vit. B Since it is progressing, I am in preparation to receive an intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) Treatment. Have any of you used this method for stabilizing the situation,or reversing the symptoms?

mrsD 03-31-2012 11:26 AM

Welcome to NeuroTalk:

What type of Vitamin B are you using? What dose?
There are many different Vitamin B's.... B1, B2, B3, folate, B5, B6
B12.

IVIG is usually used in rapidly progressing neuropathies that are autoimmune in type.

pearl1925 03-31-2012 01:03 PM

Thanks for the answer. I have taken NATURE MADE B-COMPLEX for a number of years. Vitamin C 300mg, Thiamin 15 mg,Riboflavin 10.2 mg, Niacin 50 mg. VITAMIN b6.5 mg,Pantothenic Acid 10 mg The Neuropathy in my hands has progressed to my wrist up the little finger side of my hands in the last 6 weeks. The feet have been in process for over a year BUT the loss of sensation is still increasng and there seems to be soft swelling under the Ball of my feet and some now in the heal area.

pearl1925 03-31-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 865431)
Welcome to NeuroTalk:

What type of Vitamin B are you using? What dose?
There are many different Vitamin B's.... B1, B2, B3, folate, B5, B6
B12.

IVIG is usually used in rapidly progressing neuropathies that are autoimmune in type.

I have been taking 1 Nature Made B-Complex with vitamin C every morning for several years (vitamin C 300 mg, Thiamin 15 mg, riboflavin 10.2 mg, niacin 50 mg, vitamin b6 5 mg, pantothenic acid 10 mg).

The numbness in my ring and little fingers with tingling extending to my elbows started in the past 6 weeks. The numbness in my feet up to my knees began over a year ago. The balls of my feet and my heels feel swollen and spongy. This condition seems to be increasing along with the loss of nerve response in my lower legs.

mrsD 03-31-2012 01:59 PM

Have you had B12 blood work? To see if you are low?

Your complex is conservative. Some of the Bcomplex with C's have B12 (a very small amount) and others don't.

So what has your doctor said, to get you the IVIG?
Have you had tests? Do you have the results to share here?

Have you had your feet looked at by a podiatrist with x-rays to
see if you have spurs, or sesamoid bone issues? The ball of the foot has little sesamoid bones which may move, crack or fragment and cause lots of problems.

pearl1925 03-31-2012 08:12 PM

Thanks for the update I have not had any x-rays. I am not in pain just numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. I have an appointment this Tuesday with the Neurologist and will ask him about the suggestions you have made. What do you think of the WSNNerve support Formula that I found on ** I need more B Vitamins anyway. More info after my Dr. Appointment on Tuesday. Thanks

glenntaj 04-01-2012 06:03 AM

As. Mrs. D says--

-- it would be very unusual for a doctor to recommend, or try to get, IvIg treatment for a patient unless there is definite evidence of autoimmunity, as the treatment is an immune modulator.

This implies that some sort of serological and/or other testing has been done to document autoimmune markers.

There have been numerous people who have used IvIg treatment with varying degrees of success, and not just for neuropathy (and many have posted here and at other Neurotalk boards), but they generally have fairly well documented autoimmunities.

Do you have copies of your test results? (Everyone should.)

Do any of the tests on the Liza Jane spreadsheets look familiar? See:

www.lizajane.org

(These were devised to be a very comprehensive list of tests for neurologic symptoms--and a good way to track/results patterns over time.)

pearl1925 04-01-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenntaj (Post 865645)
-- it would be very unusual for a doctor to recommend, or try to get, IvIg treatment for a patient unless there is definite evidence of autoimmunity, as the treatment is an immune modulator.

This implies that some sort of serological and/or other testing has been done to document autoimmune markers.

There have been numerous people who have used IvIg treatment with varying degrees of success, and not just for neuropathy (and many have posted here and at other Neurotalk boards), but they generally have fairly well documented autoimmunities.

Do you have copies of your test results? (Everyone should.)

Do any of the tests on the Liza Jane spreadsheets look familiar?

(These were devised to be a very comprehensive list of tests for neurologic symptoms--and a good way to track/results patterns over time.)

Thanks for the info. I do have copies of all of my work up. I will ask him at my Tuesday appointment how he has arrived at this diagnosis the Auto Immune situation.

Sallysblooms 04-01-2012 07:57 PM

Do you take Alpha Lipoic Acid and Benfotiamine? They are very good.