NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Cymbalta - does it help? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/192547-cymbalta-help.html)

GirlFromNorway 08-09-2013 12:19 AM

Cymbalta - does it help?

I started taking Cymbalta 30 mg yesterday, prescribed by my doctor after I told him that this has helped some other PCS patients. I felt very sleepy, tired and with "flat emotions" about an hour after taking the pill but it has actually made my headache go away completely!! Usually, I have headache 24/7. Why does Cymbalta help against headache? I tried to Google it, but did not find any good answer.

However, I do not like the tiredness it gives me and tonight I was extremely nauseous, but this has improved now. I'm not sure whether I should take anymore of it. Any advises? I find it strange that a "anti depressant" can help with headache. Does that mean my headache is a merely psychological cause?

Mokey 08-09-2013 12:25 AM

I have thought about taking cymbalta often...have never gotten around to it for fear of side effects. I know some people do well with it. I was told it takes a while to get used to it.

I habe no answers but only support! Others can comment on how they feel with it.
Good luck!

mouse1 08-09-2013 08:18 AM

In my case YES! It was the turning point in my recovery.

Cymbalta does have side effects such as nausea, fatigue, dizzyness amongst others. Most of these go away in the first two weeks, so you just need to ride this out, it will get better.

In my case PCS was causing light and noise sensitivity, fatigue, insomnia, migraines, low mood - àll these symptoms are very closely tied together.

Cymbalta reversed all of these symptoms I believe, and gradually over a period of 5 months I am completely better. My headaches and insomnia went away straight away, and gradually over time all the other symptoms.

Cymbalta is a painkiller, this is why it's helping your headaches, it is very effective with nerve pain - its painkilling qualities are not fully understood, they were discovered by accident. It does increase serotonin which naturally narrows blood vessels, so this can help reduce migraine headaches. I am really pleased it is helping you.

It is more effective to take it in the morning apparently. I was on 60mg but am now on 30mg with no symptoms after 9 months since hitting my head, I am going to withdraw off it when I come back from holiday as it is a temporary measure to help with PCS, and boy has it worked!

Tom from Queens 08-09-2013 08:54 AM

Thanks for the info.

Does it also reduce/ cure/ manage "brain fog"?

That, and short-term memory "challenges," have been my main problem (they are perhaps really the same thing...).

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse1 (Post 1006003)
In my case YES! It was the turning point in my recovery.

Cymbalta does have side effects such as nausea, fatigue, dizzyness amongst others. Most of these go away in the first two weeks, so you just need to ride this out, it will get better.

In my case PCS was causing light and noise sensitivity, fatigue, insomnia, migraines, low mood - àll these symptoms are very closely tied together.

Cymbalta reversed all of these symptoms I believe, and gradually over a period of 5 months I am completely better. My headaches and insomnia went away straight away, and gradually over time all the other symptoms.

Cymbalta is a painkiller, this is why it's helping your headaches, it is very effective with nerve pain - its painkilling qualities are not fully understood, they were discovered by accident. It does increase serotonin which naturally narrows blood vessels, so this can help reduce migraine headaches. I am really pleased it is helping you.

It is more effective to take it in the morning apparently. I was on 60mg but am now on 30mg with no symptoms after 9 months since hitting my head, I am going to withdraw off it when I come back from holiday as it is a temporary measure to help with PCS, and boy has it worked!

mouse1 08-13-2013 01:58 AM

Tom, I dont know because I didn't have these symptoms.

NormaW 08-13-2013 09:13 AM

Tried it for 17 days

I was on Cymbalta for 17 days and thought it was helping the side effects were getting better however on the 17 days I broke out in a rash from head to toe particularly bad on my throat (outside).

I am not completely sure if it was caused by the Cymbalta but stop anyway because I was out of town and not sure what else to do.

I am back in town and saw my doctor yesterday, I got medication for the rash and when it is resolved I want to try it again. I thought it was making things better and want to be really sure it was the Cymbalta that caused the allergic reaction. If I get the rash again I will have to discontinue and look for a new drug.

I would say stay on it for at least 6 months to a year, that was my plan in hopes of really clearing something up.

Good luck

GirlFromNorway 08-17-2013 02:03 PM

My question is: Does this medication heal or just mask the symptoms? I wonder because I was almost symptom free for 4-5 days after I took the cymbalta (I just took one 30 mg capsule that one time).

NormaW 08-17-2013 03:43 PM

It takes awhile

It takes a about 2 weeks to build up in your system and then will probably have the most effect at 6 weeks. (so I have been told). I found a difference right away which I was told that anxiety symptoms can have an immediate effect.

What you are trying to do is to minimize you symptoms while you heal. If you give yourself a good period of time on the medication it will help your healing process.

This is just my opinion but maybe others have different ideas.

Good luck.

mouse1 08-18-2013 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlFromNorway (Post 1007870)
My question is: Does this medication heal or just mask the symptoms? I wonder because I was almost symptom free for 4-5 days after I took the cymbalta (I just took one 30 mg capsule that one time).

It is hard to tell and I know why you ask if it disguises symptoms, because I felt the same.

I think the more important question is, has Cymbalta improved the quality of your life? If it has it could be a useful medication to take on a temporary basis.

Many of the physiological symptoms are exacerbated by psychological symptoms of PCS. Medication can break this cycle.

In my case it has greatly improved the quality of my life, and things are pretty much back to normal. The next step is to withdraw from it in the next few weeks under the advice of my doctor. I suppose only then will I know if I am healed.

lilyNYC 11-03-2015 08:07 PM

Yes, I would love to know the same as Tom. Does the Cymbalta seem to help anyone with memory/brain fog? If not Cymbalta, has anyone tried anything that's made a significant difference with this?