NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Mental Health & Emotional Support (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-mental-health-and-emotional-support/)
-   -   Slowing Down (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-mental-health-and-emotional-support/165950-slowing.html)

samanthahorn94x 03-03-2012 12:26 AM

Slowing Down

My doctors and therapists say I need to slow down and stop doing as much as I am. Mentally for the most part I feel like I could do anything, but physically due to my neurological issues I fall rather short. I am seventeen and am in complete denial about my limitations, I hate not being able to do things other people my age are doing. I like keeping myself insanely busy so I don't have to think about my medical issues, I get extemley depressed when I have time to think. I don't want this to control my life even though it practically does. My friends are becoming concerned that I am too carefree and need to slow down as well.... I just feel really lost and upset right now. I am having a very difficult time trying to handle my medical issues, while still holding onto who I am. Does anyone else feel like this??? Any suggestions on how I might manage my time, while actually resting my body?

Anacrusis 06-27-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samanthahorn94x (Post 857566)
My doctors and therapists say I need to slow down and stop doing as much as I am. Mentally for the most part I feel like I could do anything, but physically due to my neurological issues I fall rather short. I am seventeen and am in complete denial about my limitations, I hate not being able to do things other people my age are doing. I like keeping myself insanely busy so I don't have to think about my medical issues, I get extemley depressed when I have time to think. I don't want this to control my life even though it practically does. My friends are becoming concerned that I am too carefree and need to slow down as well.... I just feel really lost and upset right now. I am having a very difficult time trying to handle my medical issues, while still holding onto who I am. Does anyone else feel like this??? Any suggestions on how I might manage my time, while actually resting my body?

Hello Samantha,

The actual fact that you stopped to ask this this question is a good sign. I think there are probably many possibilities and options for you.

Hope things are starting to work out.

Anacrusis

jonboy08 07-24-2012 12:07 PM

I am seventeen and am in complete denial about my limitations

Being self aware about this denial is a great start to accepting that you do have limitations. I'd say staying busy and feeling that your 'invincible' is fairly common for many teenagers. Nevertheless, have you ever tried meditation, tai chi or yoga as a avenue for slowing down. Deep breathing exercises can be key to being present and in the moment. "To Know thyself" Just 20 minutes a day can make a difference. :winky: