NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MRI Question (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/211014-mri-question.html)

barb02 10-16-2014 04:32 PM

MRI Question

Did not make it through the entire MRI. After two hours I felt like I was on fire and had needed to use the restroom for over an hour. I did not have the
contrast done. They said it would take another 45 minutes or so. They also said that doctors should not order three tests at one time. And the machines at the hospitals in Austin are much better. I'll see what my neurologist wants to do.

Their machine was smaller than what I am used to, and probably older. I have had 7 mri's without a problem. However, I have never had all three of these MRI's done at once before. I literally felt like I was being burned. My arms and back are still red. Because the test was so long, the machine was getting hotter and hotter. I will call my neuro's office tomorrow morning. Radiologist said he will still read my results.

I would have done the rest of the test if they would have let me have a break to go to the bathroom. But they said they could not do that.

So my questions are, do I really need to go back and have the contrast done? I actually will not go to the same place if I have to have it done. And if they can do it with contrast another time, why couldn't they let me get up to go to the restroom and then inject the dye and finish the test? Or would I have to do the entire test again?

NurseNancy 10-16-2014 05:30 PM

gosh barb, i've not heard of an mri machine getting hot. sounds like maybe you really did have an outdated machine.

i agree with getting it done at a place with an updated machine. if you need to con't or have it repeated i'd ask for some kind of price refund for unsatisfactory results. and, they should have told you how long it would take.

don't forget to get a copy of the disk and a copy of the report. let us know what your dr says.

barb02 10-16-2014 05:46 PM

i was told it would take about two hours. But it was going to be closer the three. I thought I could handle it. But I had never had the experience of a machine that was so hot it burned. I am usually cold when I get one.

Frog42 10-16-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb02 (Post 1103464)
And if they can do it with contrast another time, why couldn't they let me get up to go to the restroom and then inject the dye and finish the test? Or would I have to do the entire test again?

I think it's probably because the position of your head would be different. I've always had to stay perfectly still until they're finished when I've had mine done.

SallyC 10-16-2014 07:16 PM

Sheeeesh!!! May I ask why the MRI was necessary? :hug:

barb02 10-16-2014 07:33 PM

Sally - I moved. New neuro. Wanted MRI. I have never had cervical spine done and the t spine was only done once years ago. Last mri was April 2013.

I am not doing the entire thing over again. Neuro will just have to live without seeing the results with contrast. If he is a jerk about it, I will find another neuro.

ewizabeth 10-16-2014 11:44 PM

If it were me, I would not bother to go back unless you are having new symptoms that are causing problems. I went through something similar at Rush in Chicago a year ago, and with hindsight I would not repeat it. If the test is really necessary I would say do it again, if it is a repeat of something you had recently in Illinois, why put yourself through all that? :hug:

doydie 10-19-2014 12:23 AM

My nuero believes that if you are having any indications for an MRI, you don't need it. Why, they cost to much just to do as a check up. Now if you are having symptoms, yes

Debbie D 10-19-2014 05:14 PM

Must be an outdated machine...I'm usually cold in that room because they keep the room cooler because of the heat of the magnets working, I guess...

I know contrast helps the docs see if there's new lesion activity, but honestly if you aren't having issues, why put yourself through it again?

Natalie8 10-19-2014 11:55 PM

Barb, that sounds absolutely crazy! The machine was so hot it was burning your skin? I'd report the machine to the MRI center -- politely ask them if that's normal (because I have a hunch it's not). It does sound like an old machine. A lot of people with neurological diseases can't tolerate big temp changes on skin. This day and age they should be able to find you a more modern one!