NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Zelapar (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/9266-zelapar.html)

TheatreChick93 12-19-2006 09:51 AM

Zelapar

Hi,

Anyone taking Zelapar? My Dr. just switched me from Selegiline in capsule form twice a day to Zelapar (Zelapar is a special formulation of the drug selegiline that adds more active hours to the lives of people with Parkinson’s disease (PD). It's a quick disolving tablet you put on your tounge.)

I just started taking it today and I just don't feel as good as I usually do.

I know it's only one day and there could be a dozen reasons for not feeling as good.

Just curious if anyone had any experience with this new drug.

Thanks!
Janice

quiltermom 12-19-2006 04:09 PM

Zelapar

Hello,

I have taken Zelapar for 3 months. I felt no difference till day 9. On day 9, I had and additional 6 hours of on time. I am now able to get through most days without debilitating off spells. Before Zelapar, I could barely get three hours from a dose of meds. Since Zelapar, my meds are lasting till the next dose and even longer. It has improved my quality of life.

I also take Sinemet 25/100-4X's
Comtan 200mg --4X's
Requip 5 mg ---4X's
Aapokyn .2mg---3X's as needed

Feel free to phone me or im me anytime.

Karen (724-249-2651)
quiltermom49@yahoo.com

wendy s 12-19-2006 11:21 PM

This is really interesting. I'm taking one 25/100 Sinemet 3x a day along with 0.75 mg. of Mirapex. I'm still working, and it's been hard lately being stiff and slow from about 11:00 to 1:00 when I'm waiting for the next dose. I see my neuro the end of Jan. and I'll ask him about Zelapar - I'd rather not take any more Sinemet if I don't have to. Is it a brand new drug?

Ronhutton 12-20-2006 03:18 AM

Zelapar

I have been taking Zelapar for about 4 months now. It does what they claim, gives me an extra couple of hours per day on time.
You do have to take the zelapar 10 minutes before your meds, and don't eat or drink anything in between. This is stated in the instructions.
I think it would help if people stated how long they have had PD. It does not mean much if one person says they take 300mg levodopa per day and another says they take 600mg. If the first one says they are 3 years since diagnosis and the second says 10 years, it makes sense.
I am 15 years since diagnosis, and take per day
Sinemet 300mg
Mirapex 1.2mg
Zelapar 1.25mg
entacapone 600mg
Ron

ctelbako 05-26-2007 10:20 PM

Has anyone been able to eliminate comtan after being on Zelapar for several weeks? With comtan and zelapar, my PWP experiences dyskinesia which had been stopped by DBS surgery 2 years ago. Will see the neurologist about all this at a regular appointment in mid-June.

Thanks

Ronhutton 05-27-2007 01:08 AM

Zelapar

No, I still take 3 x 200mg entacapone per day, same as before Zelapar.
Ron