NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Neurologists (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/177447-neurologists.html)

budgies 10-04-2012 08:37 AM

Neurologists

When we last visited my husband's neurologist in April this year, he said he thought that we'd see a cure for PD in our lifetime, which was very encouraging.

Possibly he was just trying to assuage my concerns, but he's a man of very few words, and those he does utter are very carefully thought out, so he's not given to making rash statements.

I was just wondering if anyone else's neurologist ever has anything positive/encouraging to offer?

aftermathman 10-04-2012 10:56 AM

Hi Budgie ...

my Neuro rarely saysanything re. the "macro PD picture" but he does offer positive and negative comments re. my own condition.

He is a firm believer in the multiple variants of illness being defined under the single banner of PD, he belives in little and often as a drug regime, that Mirapex is neuroprotective and that Duodopa is very good.

Just out of interest who is your Neuro and where is he based.

Neil.

soccertese 10-04-2012 10:58 AM

nope but they've been saying that for at least the last 10 years. but the odds have to be going up. as an aside, noone thought the following treatment was possible 10 years ago and then out of the blue, something of a miracle and it was incredibly difficult science by a very small company. btw, their stock went from $3 to $40 to treat a disease which doesn't affect that many people and i assume that shows the $$ incentives for a pd cure exist. my point is that imho, the tools are in place now, the lab equipment, software, cell lines, dna sequencers, etc to get to something of a cure if the $$$ and planning is there. and if there are enough volunteers for trials.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/9027...t?source=yahoo

GregD 10-04-2012 11:58 AM

When I was first diagnosed, they were saying a cure was 5-10 years away. So if now they are saying in your lifetime, are they going forward or backward. Your guess is as good as theirs.

budgies 10-05-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aftermathman (Post 919647)
my Neuro rarely saysanything re. the "macro PD picture" but he does offer positive and negative comments re. my own condition.

He is a firm believer in the multiple variants of illness being defined under the single banner of PD, he belives in little and often as a drug regime, that Mirapex is neuroprotective and that Duodopa is very good.

Just out of interest who is your Neuro and where is he based.

Neil.

Firstly, thanks to all for responding to my post.

Hi Neil: My husband's sees his neurologist in North Devon, although the neurologist is based in Exeter. I don't think we're supposed to name names, and I'm sure it wouldn't mean anything to you anyway, but thanks for detailing your neurologist's approach to treatment, which is very interesting.

aftermathman 10-05-2012 05:26 AM

Budgie ...

you may be close to Ron Hutton, I think he lives down Devon way.

I should take the time to catch up with him, a top bloke.

Neil.

budgies 10-05-2012 10:12 AM

Neurologists

Hi again Neil,

Yes, I do know of Ron, having had e-mail contact with him, and he is indeed a great bloke, with a huge amount of knowledge on the subject. He lives in Kent though, which unfortunately is not that close to Devon.

Haven't seen him here lately, so I'm hoping he's all right. Always a joy to read his postings.

All the best.

Conductor71 10-05-2012 02:49 PM

Interesting thread. My neuro I would not die from it but likely die with it. That statement which I am sure she practiced in front of the mirror was actually more devestating than the news itself.

We have the money but no plan of attack. The fact that a neurologist agrees that it essentially a brain injury, or a cluster of symptoms that can begin many different ways yet they persist on treating it as one disease means to me that we are all fracked.