NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Its been a month, does anyone else have these symptoms? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/211912-month-else-symptoms.html)

richy448 11-07-2014 08:11 PM

Its been a month, does anyone else have these symptoms?

So its been a month since I've had my mild brain injury but the symptoms that have arises are extremely hard to cope with and do not seem to be improving.

I have a constant loss of time perception and time seems to go by extremely quickly and I struggle to remember recent events and remember what day things happened. does anyone else suffer from this?

poetrymom 11-07-2014 09:31 PM

Welcome Here

Hi Richie,

I do remember when I couldn't keep track of time. Hubby would say, "Let's go someplace in half an hour," and I would get caught up in something and the time would just pass.

Your confused thoughts are normal for brain healing. A month in is early days. Check out the vitamin stickie to see how you can help yourself with diet and etc. Reduce stress every way you can and minimilize use of screens too to aid brain healing.

Keep track of your symptoms and ask questions. People here will help as best as possible.

Take care

poetrymom

Mark in Idaho 11-07-2014 11:01 PM

richy448,

First, please try to give yourself a break by not referring to this as a mild brain injury. You have more likely suffered a mild concussion. Sure, it is an injury but more of a brain stress.

Second, give yourself room to struggle with the symptoms you are having. As has been said before, you are still early.

If you struggle with time perception, use work-arounds. Accept that time is a struggle and rather than getting anxious, prioritize your needs. You do not need to remember what you had for breakfast, just that you did eat. Keep a journal or notes if you need to.

Time appearing accelerated is usually a symptom of anxiety. Reducing stress and complexity in your day will likely be helpful.

Have you been doing anything to resolve any subtle neck injuries ?

richy448 11-08-2014 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1106845)
richy448,

First, please try to give yourself a break by not referring to this as a mild brain injury. You have more likely suffered a mild concussion. Sure, it is an injury but more of a brain stress.

Second, give yourself room to struggle with the symptoms you are having. As has been said before, you are still early.

If you struggle with time perception, use work-arounds. Accept that time is a struggle and rather than getting anxious, prioritize your needs. You do not need to remember what you had for breakfast, just that you did eat. Keep a journal or notes if you need to.

Time appearing accelerated is usually a symptom of anxiety. Reducing stress and complexity in your day will likely be helpful.

Have you been doing anything to resolve any subtle neck injuries ?

thank you very much for the reassurance. (:

I've been putting ice packs on it when I'm home but the subtle pain still persists, getting worse or better throughout the day. any reason its persisting?

Hockey 11-08-2014 06:38 AM

Problems with time (being unaware of it's passage, mixing up/forgetting appointment times, having difficulty projecting it, ie "I need to leave at 3:15 to reach my destination at 4:45) are pretty common after concussion.

You are in very early days, so try not to fret too much. In the interim, you might want to try to remember to write appointment times out in a day planner. Reminder aps on phones and tablets can be helpful, too.

If you do make a mistake, don't beat yourself up over it.

lyndianne 11-08-2014 01:16 PM

Google calendar has been a lifesaver for me. Along with the calendar that shows up whenever I check my email, I have it set to send me a daily email of my appointments and a reminder

email right before! Our working memory is usually what has suffered so visual reminders and

lots of repetition are our friends. We're trying to bypass our working memory and move things into short term memory...at least for some of us.

Mark in Idaho 11-08-2014 02:31 PM

lyndianne,

"Along with the calendar that shows up whenever I check my email, I have it set to send me a daily email of my appointments and a reminder "

What calendar app are you using ?

lyndianne 11-08-2014 04:59 PM

I'm using Google calendar. When I took a look at planners I knew it was just too much visually. Not to mention having to keep track of the book and my tendency to write the wrong time on the right day or vise versa.

thedude58 11-10-2014 03:12 PM

For note taking and reminders, EVERNOTE is a great application and well worth the try. It is free, you can install it on computers and get the app for smartphones.

The data you store as notes is kept/stored as part of the service in the cloud and can be shared among your machines!