NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   10 Day Water Fast to Promote Healing of PCS (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/220214-10-day-water-fast-promote-healing-pcs.html)

guitarcs 05-13-2015 10:36 AM

10 Day Water Fast to Promote Healing of PCS

Hi all,

On February 14th while skiing, I was at a standstill and lost my balance..falling down on my shoulder and rolled twice down the mountain. Feeling perfectly fine, I enjoyed the rest of the weekend. Waking up a few days later, was hit mainly with a headache that feels like a pressure, brain fog, and trouble concentrating.

I got better over the following weeks but still had a headache. 2 weeks ago I lightly tapped my head and all the symptoms returned...but feels like they are now getting better.

To promote healing, I'm on day 4 of a 10 day water fast to promote healing, lose weight, and detoxify my system.

As I know many on this board are looking for a cure from their PCS - I will update on day 10 to let you know how I feel and if there is any change in headache, etc.

Mark in Idaho 05-13-2015 10:47 AM

guitarcs,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Please be careful with your water fast. Your brain and body needs the proper electrolytes or a water fast can be dangerous.

EnglishDave 05-13-2015 01:07 PM

Hi there,

The brain NEEDS a constant supply of glucose, awake or resting. We have the most wonderful, self-regenerating, detoxifying organ in our bodies - the liver.

Has there been a single Medical Doctor who recommends water fasting in this way?

Concerned for you and others.

Dave.

SuperElectric 05-13-2015 02:38 PM

As Mark says the brain needs water, as do the kidneys - I can't see any good coming of starving your body of water.

Lara 05-13-2015 03:33 PM

I thought a water fast meant no food/calories and only drink water.
ick I'd be very careful with that.

Mark in Idaho 05-13-2015 05:29 PM

A water fast is based on consuming nothing but water, some even use only purified water. This means that the electrolytes needed are absent. This can lead to water intoxication that can cause severe swelling of the brain leading to damage or even death. As English Dave said, the brain needs a supply of glucose. Hypoglycemic shock or seizure can result.

I woke up in a hypoglycemic seizure once after having my wisdom teeth extracted. I had not consumed enough calories for 4 + days and woke up paralyzed with my muscles in contraction. Fortunately, I had room mates who were watching my recovery who called the dentist and were given instruction to carefully pour some sugar (instant breakfast) into my mouth. The sublingual absorption of sugar slowly relieved the muscle contraction.

So, Be careful with such a fast.

guitarcs 05-14-2015 08:06 AM

** admin note:Copy/paste removed as this was copied from a website that has copyright restrictions**

mrsD 05-14-2015 08:24 AM

Anyone thinking of doing this water fast, should have a good discussion with their doctor(s).. Don't attempt this on your own.

http://www.ncahf.org/articles/e-i/fasting.html

guitarcs 05-14-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1142285)
Anyone thinking of doing this water fast, should have a good discussion with their doctor(s).. Don't attempt this on your own.

I completely understand the risks associated with undertaking this, and have conducted a few 7 day water fasts pre-concussion with no problems.

My research into fasting indicates that certain people should not fast, but checking with your doctor is certainly ideal.

**admin edit** copy/paste removed as this was copied from a site that has copyright restrictions

SuperElectric 05-14-2015 09:28 AM

Why isn't it called a food fast since you don't fast from water? :-/