NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MS and exercise.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/106037-ms-exercise.html)

Chazen18 10-19-2009 05:59 AM

MS and exercise....

Hello all! Ok, so I am on a new health kick (lets hope this one sticks around..). I need suggestions for exercises I can do to get the maximum weight loss. I have full capability except for balance and I get leg cramps after walking too much. Anyone have any butt kicking work outs that I can try so I can get skinny?? :) It would be appreciated!

Chazen18 10-19-2009 10:05 AM

Nothing??? Huh?

Kitty 10-19-2009 11:09 AM

We're all eating lunch :o........let us think about it! :D :p ;)

**just kidding....I should be exercising instead of eating but I haven't gotten that disciplined yet.**

Dejibo 10-19-2009 11:40 AM

I found that I needed to build up my stamina first. I started with walks to the mailbox. everyday. there and back. Then when I was not completely exhausted or woozy from it, I walked across the street each day, and pushed it to down the road a bit, and back, and before long I found I am walking up and down the whole road. (1.1 miles) it has helped my stamina inside as well.

I know you spoke of weight loss, but your goal to start with should be some stamina. it will improve the way you feel as well as your balance. Controling diet, and adding exercise will help with the weight. I found laying around the house, I burned precious few calories, yet fed myself as if I was still active.

They have those rubber band things that you stand on and pull on or tug on that will help create resistance. It will help build muscle. Yoga is amazing! its slow, it burns calories, and it helps your endurance as well.

Have your hubby prop your bike up so the back wheel doesnt touch the ground, and ride in front of your TV. walk in place, or do sit and stand, sit and stand on a hard chair for 15 minutes. this will help your leg muscles.

There are several places on the internet for elderly exercise. I found using small simple stretches to start as if I was 90 really helped me. As I felt better, I added to it.

Way to go! :cool:

jackD 10-19-2009 06:18 PM

Follow your doctor's advice

1 Attachment(s)
I had to really hunt long and hard to find this good Doctor who gave me the advice that I was looking for.

jackD

ewizabeth 10-19-2009 07:13 PM

I started with a recumbant stationary bike. I currently do Pilates, walking, and elliptical machine workouts. Light gardening is excellent too, and very rewarding, weather permitting.

SallyC 10-19-2009 07:14 PM

Ahhh, I see you met my Doc, Jack..LOL!!

jackD 10-19-2009 08:05 PM

moderation in all things stressful

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 580095)
Ahhh, I see you met my Doc, Jack..LOL!!

Thanks.. I have a TOTAL GYM and a LIFECYCLE. Dusting them once each week gives me all the exercise I can tolerate.

jackD

ewizabeth 10-19-2009 10:15 PM

How much will you take for the two of them JackD? :) ;) You might just need something a bit more practical. I really wish I had a heavy duty but space saver rowing machine. Then my life would be nearly perfect. :rolleyes:

braingonebad 10-20-2009 06:03 AM

I am not exercising at all lately. But when I did (that whole 2 mins lol) I loved the balance ball.

I only got as far as sitting on it bouncing, and half crunches. But it IS good for regaining some balance. And it's fun. I'm a big kid, if I don't enjoy, i don't do it. Did yoga too, and will get back at that one day. Really easy stuff, but it feels so good.

Can't belive what a work out that is, just holding a pose.