NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Hello from Washington (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/186435-hello-washington.html)

Kristina_A2 04-04-2013 09:20 PM

Hello from Washington

Hello everyone! I came seeking for online support as I've found no one to turn to in recent days face-to-face to talk with that can relate to what I'm going through. I suffered my 8th concussion September of 2012 and have been dealing with post-concussive syndrome on and off ever since. I've finally turn to help online because life has been absolutely wonderful for me these last few months, but I just did a simple ballet/Pilates workout and had to quit after 15 minutes for becoming severely dizzy.

I laid on the floor with my eyes shut for nearly 45 minutes. Of course this sent my emotions completely haywire as I haven't had any severe symptoms since Jan of this year. I deal with day-to-day frustrations and the people I have surrounding me just assume I am a forgetful person.
I came to this online forum because I would love to have the opportunity to talk with others in my shoes, who understand and don't make assumptions on why I may have slurred my words while speaking a simple sentence. I'm close to a week shy of turning 26 and instead of thinking that I'm a lost cause, I'd like to find some hope. I look forward to talking with all of you.
Thank you.

Darlene 04-05-2013 12:57 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

Kristina,

:welcome_sign: It is great to have you come and be with us. You will fine a great number of dear friends to listen when you are in need of ears. Please, just let us know how we can help you out. You will find out we are supportive and relaxing place.

Click onto the following forum there are great number of friends to help you:

Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum92.html

Please keep us up to date on your situation. Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray:

Lisa14 04-05-2013 08:28 AM

Welcome! And Happy Birthday!! I think you will find a lot of support here, I have. How did you get your concussions? Do you have permanent brain damage or do they think it will heal? What other symptoms do you have other than slurred speech?
Lisa

Lightrail11 04-05-2013 12:54 PM

Hi Kristina. As Darlene says there is a specific forum for TBI/PCS, lots of good information can be found there, as well as many folks who will relate and share their experience.

All brain injuries are different. Are you seeing anyone professionally for your symptoms? Speech or occupational therapy may be helpful. Another suggestion would be to have a neuropsychological assessment done by a clinical neuropsychologist; they can help identify specific deficits and recommending specific treatment. This can be expensive but health insurance may cover this.

All brain injuries are different. You are way too young to be a "lost cause". Best to you as you recover.

:hug:

ginnie 04-05-2013 01:59 PM

Hi Kristina

Welcome to Neuro Talk. You found a compasionate site. Post to the TBI forum, there are alot of people on NT that have the same condition. Again welcome to you. ginnie:hug:

Kristina_A2 04-05-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa14 (Post 972188)
Welcome! And Happy Birthday!! I think you will find a lot of support here, I have. How did you get your concussions? Do you have permanent brain damage or do they think it will heal? What other symptoms do you have other than slurred speech?
Lisa

Thank you!! I suffered my first concussion when I was 12 years old playing softball. I took a line drive straight to the temple, the only thing I remember was waking up on the bench. I had a few more due to sports, three due to car accidents and the most recent one was a 'double tap' concussion. I sat down in a chair at a hockey game and it flew backwards and I hit the back on my head on a brick wall behind me. I wasn't too effected at that time, but the next day I simply bumped the top of my head while getting into my car and lost consciousness. I've been told there is no permanent damage and I go in for check ups quite frequently. Symptoms: anger issues, which have been extreme in the past but with therapy I've been able to keep it under control, daily headaches, vertigo, mood swings, confusion, memory loss, insomnia...

Kristina_A2 04-05-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightrail11 (Post 972267)
Hi Kristina. As Darlene says there is a specific forum for TBI/PCS, lots of good information can be found there, as well as many folks who will relate and share their experience.

All brain injuries are different. Are you seeing anyone professionally for your symptoms? Speech or occupational therapy may be helpful. Another suggestion would be to have a neuropsychological assessment done by a clinical neuropsychologist; they can help identify specific deficits and recommending specific treatment. This can be expensive but health insurance may cover this.

All brain injuries are different. You are way too young to be a "lost cause". Best to you as you recover.

thank you for your kind words. I have been seeing a clinical therapist for the last six years, but I do think seeing a neuropsychologist can be helpful in my case. I still have anger issues that quickly turn to depression because deep down, I'm not an angry person. I do look forward to speaking to more people on here, I finally feel like I have a place to turn instead of being in the dark.

Lisa14 04-06-2013 05:12 AM

I had anger issues along with depression. my md gave me abilify to go along with my Lexapro and it has done wonders! much more mellow. Things don't bother me as much, not sure if that would be an option or not for you. Wow you have had some concussions!! At least there is no permanent brain damage! I think lightrail is right a neuropsychologist may help you. Understand better what your going thru. Good Luck and take care:)

Brain patch 04-07-2013 11:00 AM

Kristina,
Welcome! You will be right at home with us on the traumatic brain injury/post concussive syndrome forum. I also have had 8 concussions. Just got through having neuropsychological testing. Waiting for the report now. We all have these same problems on the TBI/PCS forum. We understand. I had slurred speech for years. Still do at times. Come talk with us on our forum. You will find lots of help and support. You are not alone. I am sorry that you are suffering with this problem.
Brain :hug: