NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Looking for answers (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/149300-looking-answers.html)

meekobindi 04-29-2011 05:36 AM

Looking for answers

Can anyone tell me once someone loses their hair due to RSD/CRPS, is this temporary or permanent.

daniella 04-29-2011 08:59 AM

Is this on your rsd area only or everywhere? I am not for sure but for ex when people have ketamine and benefit not only is the pain lower but if they had sores it got better as well. It may work similar with hair loss. Are you on any meds that also cause hair loss?

catra121 04-29-2011 09:49 AM

Are you talking about hair loss in terms on on the head or on the RSD area? I know that I have been dealing with hair loss recently on my head (handfuls every time I shower)...and I think it may be due to stress. With all the pain and physical stress on the body...I can imagine that hair loss due to stress isn't all that uncommon. I am hoping it is temprorary...but since I haven't been able to get any relief recently I can't really say for sure in my case. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer for you.

meekobindi 04-29-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniella (Post 766276)
Is this on your rsd area only or everywhere? I am not for sure but for ex when people have ketamine and benefit not only is the pain lower but if they had sores it got better as well. It may work similar with hair loss. Are you on any meds that also cause hair loss?

It is everywhere particularly on the head baldness, it's only been in the last few months.

kathy d 04-29-2011 11:02 PM

Hi All,
Yes, I have had hair loss too. It started out a few years ago and like mentioned already it fell out in the shower at an alarming rate. I did go to the dermatologist and he biopsied my scale and found hair loss from stress. I used Rogaine for hair loss on my scalp and it did help but takes a few months until you see new growth (the men's kind is best cause it is not liquid) Then, I noticed hair loss on my shins and now it is up and down my legs (It is patchy all over). I had ketamine this past Sept 2011 and over the last few months have slowly noticed a premature wrinkling on all my skin. It is strange and never had this for years. I believe because the ketamine is toxic to our bodies it changed the insides of my body so much so that it has affected my skin. Yuck. Sorry to say I believe the hair loss is permanent as so in my case but if you use Rogaine (Walgreens makes a cheaper generic one too) I believe it will help you. I am not all that concerned about the hair loss on my legs but the front of my scalp you can see spaces throughout my head. Good luck.
kathy d

SandyRI 04-30-2011 09:46 AM

Kathy d -sorry for your hair loss and wrinkles...I doubt it's because of ketamine, though. I've had 39 infusions in the past 12months and I still have all my hair and no more wrinkles than when I started. as a matter of fact, people tell me that lately I look better than I have in years.

Ketamine is an anesthetic, not poison. And it's been great for me and lots of other RSDers. I am so sincerely sorry that you had such a bad experience at Drexel....

Many of the meds we take have numerous side effects. And taking opiods for a long period of time is really tough on our bodies, even though it is a necessity when our pain gets out of control.

Meekomindi -has your brother had a rheumatological work-up yet to rule out anything else that might be going on?

Good luck.

Xoxo. Sandy

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathy d (Post 766452)
Hi All,
Yes, I have had hair loss too. It started out a few years ago and like mentioned already it fell out in the shower at an alarming rate. I did go to the dermatologist and he biopsied my scale and found hair loss from stress. I used Rogaine for hair loss on my scalp and it did help but takes a few months until you see new growth (the men's kind is best cause it is not liquid) Then, I noticed hair loss on my shins and now it is up and down my legs (It is patchy all over). I had ketamine this past Sept 2011 and over the last few months have slowly noticed a premature wrinkling on all my skin. It is strange and never had this for years. I believe because the ketamine is toxic to our bodies it changed the insides of my body so much so that it has affected my skin. Yuck. Sorry to say I believe the hair loss is permanent as so in my case but if you use Rogaine (Walgreens makes a cheaper generic one too) I believe it will help you. I am not all that concerned about the hair loss on my legs but the front of my scalp you can see spaces throughout my head. Good luck.
kathy d