NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   start imuran today (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/101367-start-imuran.html)

motorhead 08-26-2009 09:57 AM

start imuran today

saw my neuro yesterday. we discussed long term therapy, alternatives to 6-8 mos. on prednisone (EEEEEWWWWW!!!) he put me on 50 mg of azathioprine daily. i'll need weekly blood work for the first 3 weeks to monitor but the possibility of getting off the steroids early makes that acceptable. cost is acceptable. he said he's had a few cases that reacted badly so he monitors closely in the early stages. he felt comfortable with my case because he says mine is nearly textbook so far. hopefully this trend will continue with the new drug.

anything i should look out for? any new changes i should make in lifestyle/routines? i know a lot of folks here have been on pred/imuran so i welcome your input.

motorhead 08-29-2009 12:32 AM

so far, so good. blood work early next weekj. we'll see how it goes.

redtail 08-29-2009 12:44 AM

glad to hear everything is going ok.

I started out on pred and imuran (I'm now on pred and cellcept)
The only thing I can think of at the moment is pred can make want to eat alot more, and thus you put on weight, so be aware of that. I still struggle with it.
I cant think of anything at the moment but if I do I will let you know, hope everything continues to go well

allen L 08-29-2009 08:59 PM

Im happy things are going well for you so far motor head.

Nicknerd 08-29-2009 09:11 PM

Hey,

my neurologist wants me to start taking Imuran as well, but my hemoglobulin (sp.?) is low, so they're (the team) going to discuss it to see if it's worth it to start...

Does Imuran make Anemia worse?

I'm glad that so far, things are going well for you, Motorhead...I hope that you see lots of improvements soon. :)

Nicky

motorhead 08-29-2009 10:36 PM

from what i was told there can be serious liver probs. also absolutely verboten for diabetics. my neuro says he's had good results in most cases but he did have one very serious reaction also. he said if he hadn't been closely monitoring blood the guy might have died. at this point i'll try anything to get off the steroids sooner. my alternative is another 4-6 mos. on pred.

erinhermes 08-29-2009 11:47 PM

Hi Motorhead!

Hey there! I was on pred and imuran - I loved it! Unfortunately it did not love me - my hands and feet started to peel really badly so I went back to cellcept.

You MAY initially be weaker, but I bet this stuff works!

Hope you feel GREAT soon!

Take care!
ERin:hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 559121)
saw my neuro yesterday. we discussed long term therapy, alternatives to 6-8 mos. on prednisone (EEEEEWWWWW!!!) he put me on 50 mg of azathioprine daily. i'll need weekly blood work for the first 3 weeks to monitor but the possibility of getting off the steroids early makes that acceptable. cost is acceptable. he said he's had a few cases that reacted badly so he monitors closely in the early stages. he felt comfortable with my case because he says mine is nearly textbook so far. hopefully this trend will continue with the new drug.

anything i should look out for? any new changes i should make in lifestyle/routines? i know a lot of folks here have been on pred/imuran so i welcome your input.