NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Home & Garden Talk (https://www.neurotalk.org/home-and-garden-talk/)
-   -   Homemade Gardening & Lawncare Items (https://www.neurotalk.org/home-and-garden-talk/102057-homemade-gardening-lawncare-items.html)

Kitty 09-01-2009 05:21 AM

Homemade Gardening & Lawncare Items

WEED KILLER. Open a 1-gallon container of white vinegar and pour off at least 1 inch to create headspace. Add 2 cups of table salt and 8 drops of liquid dishwashing soap to the vinegar. Shake to dissolve. Cover tightly, label and store in a safe place. Pour into a plastic spray bottle and spray all unwanted vegetation.

Caution: This will kill any living plant material, so beware. Repeated use will eventually sterilize the soil so nothing will grow, even good stuff. This recipe is great for driveways, walkways, edging and places where you do not want anything to grow.

INSECT SOAP.
Insect soaps are available in any organic gardening aisle, but gardeners can make a homemade spray that's just as effective for aphids, caterpillars, and mites. Add 3 drops of mild dishwashing liquid to 1 quart of water. Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Dispense through a spray bottle. Spray plants to the point of drenching, but don't spray on blossoms.

HOT PEPPER BUG REPELLENT.
Even if you don't like spicy foods, you should plant a row of hot chili pepper plants in your garden for their bug repelling effects. Place a handful of dried hot peppers in the food processor, seeds and all, and grind to a dust. Take care not to get the dust on your skin or eyes. Sprinkle around garden plants to repel ants, onion maggots and other pests.

SQUIRREL REPELLENT.
Mix 1 ounce Murphy's Oil Soap, 1 ounce Tabasco® sauce and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper thoroughly. Pour into a large spray bottle. Fill the bottle with water and mix. Spray areas where squirrels are unwanted. Mixture does not harm the squirrels; it repels them.

braingonebad 09-07-2009 07:08 AM

Slugs - sprinkle used coffee grounds around the base of plants to keep slugs away. Lasts a few weeks.

I tried putting a dish of beer down, but the dogs drank it. They leave the coffee grounds alone though.

;)

ewizabeth 09-07-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braingonebad (Post 563703)
Slugs - sprinkle used coffee grounds around the base of plants to keep slugs away. Lasts a few weeks.

I tried putting a dish of beer down, but the dogs drank it. They leave the coffee grounds alone though.

;)

ROFL Brain. Silly dogs. :D

Thanks for the slug tip, I have them everywhere. I hate chemical pesticides because they seem to kill all the good bugs too.

mrsD 09-07-2009 12:45 PM

Speaking of slugs....

We had a ton of them on vacation. In fact they even gave us
an artistic moment! We throw our organic refuse in the woods under a bush. Everything gets consumed by some living creature up there. So I threw out some tomato stems.

A week later a squirrel had moved it back to the house, and hubby found it and really thought it was very unique.
This picture my son took showing what was left after the slugs
had dinner: