NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   molar extracted... now ache in adjacent molar (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/102423-molar-extracted-ache-adjacent-molar.html)

sprintingduck 09-06-2009 06:27 AM

molar extracted... now ache in adjacent molar

Had rear lower molar extracted (due to abscess) about a week ago and now have a dull ache in adjacent molar (painkillers are still required). Biting feels uncomfortable and it "tickles", wouldn't call it pain, just sensitive to touch with top teeth (if I use my finger it is not sensitive). If I tap this tooth with the end of a pen it is painful. This tooth is free from decay and wasn't abscessed at the time of the extraction.

Could there be another problem? How long should I wait before going back to the dentist?

Any advice appreciated...

Bryanna 09-06-2009 09:55 PM

Hi sprintingduck,

It is common to have an achiness in an adjacent tooth and/or the jawbone after a tooth is extracted. This is usually caused by the technique used to extract the tooth which can cause inflammation in the bone which causes pressure on the adjacent teeth. If there is no infection, this achiness will subside completely within a few weeks. If the pain worsens or you develop swelling in that area, you should see the dentist asap.

It is best to keep rinsing with warm salt warm at least 4 times a day for at least 3-4 weeks post op an extraction. This keeps the area clean and helps with the healing process. Avoid using that side to chew on until it becomes comfortable again. Chewing on an achey tooth can cause the nerve to become irreversibly inflammed which would eventually warrant a root canal or extraction. So try not to use that tooth for eating until it feels better.

A homeopathic remedy for inflammation and tooth pain such as yours is called Arnica Montana. It comes in small tablets that dissolve under the tongue. This remedy has been used for many years very successfully!

Hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know how you are doing.

Bryana

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintingduck (Post 563417)
Had rear lower molar extracted (due to abscess) about a week ago and now have a dull ache in adjacent molar (painkillers are still required). Biting feels uncomfortable and it "tickles", wouldn't call it pain, just sensitive to touch with top teeth (if I use my finger it is not sensitive). If I tap this tooth with the end of a pen it is painful. This tooth is free from decay and wasn't abscessed at the time of the extraction.

Could there be another problem? How long should I wait before going back to the dentist?

Any advice appreciated...

cvcman 10-20-2009 06:28 PM

Duck;

How is your doing ?? does it hurt even when not biting on it ?? Did you go back to the Dr

ewizabeth 10-20-2009 08:10 PM

Hi Sprintingduck, :)

I just wanted to say Welcome to NT. :welcome_sign:

As you see already, this is a nice place and there are lots of nice folks here too. Take care. :hug:

cvcman 10-22-2009 05:57 PM

I wish he would post back with how hes doing