NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Delayed injection site reaction to Avonex?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/102636-delayed-injection-site-reaction-avonex.html)

legzzalot 09-09-2009 08:05 AM

Delayed injection site reaction to Avonex??

So I woke up this morning with a very red and very hot patch of skin on my arm. it's not swollen but is a big red circle the size of a golf ball. And it is hot to touch. It is in the same exact spot that we did my last Avonex shot....on Saturday!!

How is it just now popping up today?? What is that??

Dejibo 09-09-2009 08:13 AM

could be a cellulitis. It is where the muscle or fat of the tissue becomes infected.

Be aware of red streaks that lead up your arm towards your chest.

I would make an appointment for the MD to check. you will probably need an antibiotic to put that in check.

legzzalot 09-09-2009 10:32 AM

I should probably mention I have woken up the last 3 nights in a row covered in sweat and I have been getting up every morning for the last 3 weeks sometime between 3 and 4 AM for no reason whatsoever and not being able to go back to sleep.

Biogen says allergic reation, but they normally show up 24-48 hours after injection. Waiting on the neuro's take now.

Lady 09-09-2009 11:46 PM

Maybe when you shot into the muscle, you got some in a vein, more than the muscle. Or a tendon. The med should be in the muscle for it to be absorbed slowly into the system.

Your arm shot might have nicked something, and the med is staying in there, inflamed and sore, until healed. Yes, let your Neuro know. Cellulitis is common too, like Dej said.

I used to like the thigh shots better. Big muscle there, easier to do. Do you draw back a tiny bit, to make sure you are in a muscle? No blood in the syringe?

I did Avonex for a year. I hope you get it cleared up. Have you tried some cortisone cream on it?

legzzalot 09-10-2009 02:01 PM

sheesh I am so confused. Just talked to teh neuro....who says it sounds like an infection at the injections site, however becuase I just finished an antibiotic (literally, yesterday) she doesn't want to put me on another one for this infection. So we are waiting until Monday, if it is still there we will be starting another course of antibiotic because we have to get everything cleared up before I go in for surgery on the 24th or they will be putting off my surgery. So that's the update.

wkikta 09-11-2009 11:56 AM

I agree with your Neuro, it sounds like an infection. I never do my arms, only thighs since the muscles are much bigger and I have heard the arms can be quite painful. No need to draw back on the syringe to check for blood. You will pierce small veins and arteries at times, no need for concern. But, the arteries can be spectacular :eek: with the spurt of blood, direct pressure for a few minutes stops the bleeding.