NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Who has tried Isradipine? (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/102821-tried-isradipine.html)

Robert Bert 09-11-2009 10:21 PM

Who has tried Isradipine?

With a new clinical trial it brings up the question of how many PD patients have already tried Isradipine?

kenki 09-12-2009 04:29 AM

Isradipine

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bert (Post 565344)
With a new clinical trial it brings up the question of how many PD patients have already tried Isradipine?

Try looking up my US friend Steve's blogsite:

parkinsonsfocustoday.blogspot.com/

He has been on Isradipine since 2007

Good luck. If my forum does not allow me to post a URL -as I am a new member, Google search Parkinsonsfocustoday

Kenki

Robert Bert 09-12-2009 11:46 AM

Isradipine

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenki (Post 565394)
Try looking up my US friend Steve's blogsite:

parkinsonsfocustoday.blogspot.com/

He has been on Isradipine since 2007

Good luck. If my forum does not allow me to post a URL -as I am a new member, Google search Parkinsonsfocustoday

Kenki

Wow! This is really a great site. Thanks so much for the lead. I have been on Azilect but am planning to try Isradipine. I'm surprised there isn't more about it in the literature.

Who is Steve? He writes well and sounds like a conservative scientist.

Robert

jeanb 09-12-2009 07:21 PM

I have

I've been on Isradipine since 2007 as well.

Robert Bert 09-12-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanb (Post 565572)
I've been on Isradipine since 2007 as well.

And how have you done with it? What else do you take?

Robert

jeanb 09-13-2009 09:39 AM

fine

Robert, I'm doing fine - no problems with dynacirc cr. (I've been taking it since Dr. Surmeir spoke at PAN a couple of years ago - 2007?) it controls my hypertension. of course i have no evidence of what it does for pd. BUT i have had spect scans in 2003-05-07-09 (from a different clinical trial) and I hope at some point that they can be sent to dr. surmeir for anecdocal data if nothing else.

i think my pd progression is slow - haven't had to adjust my meds in quite a while - nearly 2 years maybe.

current meds: azilect, stalevo 100 3x, mirapex .25 3x, requip xl 3 tablets 1x, dynacirc cr 5mg 2x, lexapro 1.0

jean

Robert Bert 09-13-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanb (Post 565719)
Robert, I'm doing fine - no problems with dynacirc cr. (I've been taking it since Dr. Surmeir spoke at PAN a couple of years ago - 2007?) it controls my hypertension. of course i have no evidence of what it does for pd. BUT i have had spect scans in 2003-05-07-09 (from a different clinical trial) and I hope at some point that they can be sent to dr. surmeir for anecdocal data if nothing else.

i think my pd progression is slow - haven't had to adjust my meds in quite a while - nearly 2 years maybe.

current meds: azilect, stalevo 100 3x, mirapex .25 3x, requip xl 3 tablets 1x, dynacirc cr 5mg 2x, lexapro 1.0

jean

Thanks Jean, all the information helps.
Robert

jeanb 09-14-2009 09:32 PM

exercise too

Robert,

I also exercise at least an hour a day - riding my trike, wii, swim ...

Jean

reverett123 09-15-2009 09:43 AM

do I remember right....

That this is a calcium channel blocker? In reading about ginger for the other thread, I found reference to it also being one. Interesting.

reverett123 09-15-2009 09:46 AM

here

Not sure where to put this so I will do both but suggest that we discuss in the other one-

1: J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2005 Jan;45(1):74-80.

Ginger lowers blood pressure through blockade of voltage-dependent calcium
channels.

Ghayur MN, Gilani AH.

Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, The Aga Khan University Medical
College, Karachi, Pakistan.

Ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe), a well-known spice plant, has been used
traditionally in a wide variety of ailments including hypertension. We report
here the cardiovascular effects of ginger under controlled experimental
conditions. The crude extract of ginger (Zo.Cr) induced a dose-dependent (0.3-3
mg/kg) fall in the arterial blood pressure of anesthetized rats. In guinea pig
paired atria, Zo.Cr exhibited a cardiodepressant activity on the rate and force
of spontaneous contractions. In rabbit thoracic aorta preparation, Zo.Cr relaxed
the phenylephrine-induced vascular contraction at a dose 10 times higher than
that required against K (80 mM)-induced contraction. Ca2+ channel-blocking (CCB)
activity was confirmed when Zo.Cr shifted the Ca2+ dose-response curves to the
right similar to the effect of verapamil. It also inhibited the phenylephrine (1
microM) control peaks in normal-Ca2+ and Ca2+-free solution, indicating that it
acts at both the membrane-bound and the intracellular Ca2+ channels. When tested
in endothelium-intact rat aorta, it again relaxed the K-induced contraction at a
dose 14 times less than that required for relaxing the PE-induced contraction.
The vasodilator effect of Zo.Cr was endothelium-independent because it was not
blocked by L-NAME (0.1 mM) or atropine (1 microM) and also was reproduced in the
endothelium-denuded preparations at the same dose range. These data indicate that
the blood pressure-lowering effect of ginger is mediated through blockade of
voltage-dependent calcium channels.

PMID: 15613983 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]