NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Migraines and ACDF (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/102960-migraines-acdf.html)

bcsbooboo 09-14-2009 08:50 AM

Migraines and ACDF

Hi,
I am scheduled to have ACDF surgery in two weeks due to severe spinal stenosis and spinal myeopathy. Even though my MRI looks very bad according to my NS, my only symptoms are abnormal reflexes and chronic migraines. I have at least 4 or 5 migraines per week and I am completely non-functional with them. I do take medication and have tried PT with no relief. I have two small children, so I am desperate for relief.

My question is: Will my migraines probably go away with this surgery? My NS said he cannot guarantee that the headaches will go away, and that I have to have the surgery regardless - due to the fact that my spinal cord is being damaged.

All I want is to be migraine-free!!

Thanks for any help. :)

disjointed 10-02-2009 09:12 PM

Hi bcsbooboo;

I didn't get them before my ACDF 4.5 years ago (or got them only rarely and mildly) but seem to have been getting them a lot the last several months, and in conjunction with a return of symptoms. Short answer from me is maybe? There does seem to be some correlation with mine but I can't prove it. I know when I get this type of migraine, I feel pain down into my scapula area as well as my head and neck so I do think the neck problem may be a trigger.

Good luck to you! I hope the surgery fixes your problem!

Angela35 10-16-2009 11:30 PM

Acdf surgery post

I wish you well... My surgery was a success despite what my MRI and CAT scan revealed. My doctors are all amazed with my recorvery. However; I have started having migrane headaches, since the surgery and they are constant and almost daily. I am not able t funtion because of the migranes and the medication Im having to take. So I wish you the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcsbooboo (Post 566024)
Hi,
I am scheduled to have ACDF surgery in two weeks due to severe spinal stenosis and spinal myeopathy. Even though my MRI looks very bad according to my NS, my only symptoms are abnormal reflexes and chronic migraines. I have at least 4 or 5 migraines per week and I am completely non-functional with them. I do take medication and have tried PT with no relief. I have two small children, so I am desperate for relief.

My question is: Will my migraines probably go away with this surgery? My NS said he cannot guarantee that the headaches will go away, and that I have to have the surgery regardless - due to the fact that my spinal cord is being damaged.

All I want is to be migraine-free!!

Thanks for any help. :)