NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Ugh, my PCP is moving (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/103164-ugh-pcp-moving.html)

jprinz99 09-16-2009 03:37 PM

Ugh, my PCP is moving

Holy carp!!! :eek:

My PCP (who has been great) is moving to PA in just under 2 weeks. I just got the letter informing me. Talk about something I did not need (or want) what with being "this close" to finalizing diagnosis! Even my neuro has said how good he is as an MD and also how cooperative he has been through all this limboland/multiple medical issues.

Any clues on how to find a good, new Internal Medicine MD who takes my insurance (a Medicare Advantage plan) and is also taking new patients and will be a good one for me?

Oh woe is me... A fairly good day just turned to ick in the time it took to open an envelope:rolleyes:

Dejibo 09-16-2009 03:40 PM

MY MD closed his doors, and left me in the wind. Its really tough to find someone that is cooperative, and "gets it" one that doesnt make you feel dismissed or whiney.

Call the # on the back of your ID card, and ask for a list of local MDs that take their insurance. Call the NMSS and ask if they know of anyone that is helpful with dx MS patients.

Hang in there. :hug: its scary to lose someone you trust.

NurseNancy 09-16-2009 05:59 PM

i've gone thru that twice and it is an awful feeling. like the rug's been pulled out from under you. fortunately the letters i got had referring drs in it that had agreed to take new pts.

i'd try calling your insurance and maybe they could pull up names for you.
or, network. try asking anyone you know who their dr is.

good luck. contact the office quick if you want copies of any records.

SallyC 09-17-2009 01:38 PM

Sorry, JP..:(

I first read this as...."My PC is moving"..LOL!!

Erin524 09-17-2009 03:10 PM

Mine moved last year around this time. He was the one who found me my really cool neuro and the incredibly nifty ophthalmologist. He was also totally adorable. Too cute for words.

He moved to CA.

Luckily, another doctor in the practice, who I'd seen when the cute one wasnt available at times turned out to be a good replacement for the cute one. The other doctor knows a lot more about the MS. His dad and his grandmother have/had it. So, he seems to understand a lot more.

Hopefully he'll be the one to hand over some LDN to me.

jprinz99 09-21-2009 10:39 AM

So I called his "girl" who handles everything as she and I have become very friendly and she knows me. Of course she was not in, but another woman was covering for her and she was great. She got e an appointmnet with my doc for this Friday. She made room by cancelling his lunch! This wonderful woman said I of all folks should see him one final time so he can:
1) write an overview letter for the next MD I choose that summarizes all my issues and the focus they are looking at (she said they rarely loom at more than the first few pages in your chart and lab reports, as oppossed to really reading a new patients old records)
2) get new Rx slips for all my meds so I don't gwt in a bind anytime in the next few months
3) get the chance to say our good byes and thank him for standing by me
4) ask him directly for a referral or 2 or 3 (and told me to bring in my insurance provider book). Hopefully he will call the new MD and get me a sooner rather than later new patient appt; plus he can tell th new doc about me himself

Funny, I am still not hrilled he is moving but this makes me feel MUCH beter about breaking in a new doctor right at this crucial stage.

Thanks for all your support (and laughter Sally!):hug:

karousel 09-21-2009 03:50 PM

Best of luck finding a new PCP. I know how hard it is.