NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   The Eyes Have It! (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/103224-eyes.html)

GI6607 09-17-2009 11:55 AM

The Eyes Have It!

Last Friday evening, I had to travel about ninety miles to swear my nephew in as a 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army. Afterwards, it began to rain, causing a lot of road glare while I was driving home. My eyes stopped functioning! I could not even hold my eyelids open with my fingers. I decided I had to stop at my sister's home twenty five miles away from the university where I swore in my nephew. I missed the turn to my sister's and suddenly found myself driving west in the two east-bound lanes of a four lane highway that had a large island between the two sets of lanes! I take mestinon and imuran, but will do my best not to get caught out in the rain at night! Also, I know it has been mentioned here before, but I believe one reason for eye pain is the fact that I find myself constantly raising my eyebrows to help keep my eyes open. If I make an effort to keep the eyebrows down, my eyes are barely open. I am pretty sure this constant raising of the eyebrows makes those muscles tired, therefore causing aches after hours of being raised.

stayathomemom 09-17-2009 02:20 PM

How frightening that must have been for you! How fortunate that nobody was injured.

I avoid driving at night, mainly because I can't handle glare, either.

I also take Mestinon & Imuran, but in my opinion the best drug for relieving ocular symptom is the dreaded Prednisone.

Did you inform your neuro of the ptosis and how bad it is right now?

I remember meeting a fellow MGer who wore wearing tape on her eyelids to help keep them open. Yikes!

Be safe,
Jenna

erinhermes 09-17-2009 03:55 PM

Hi GI6607

Hello and welcome BACK! It's been a looooong time! :D:hug:

I KNOW exactly what you mean about the whole eye thing! B/4 I was dx'ed, no one believed me when I told them I simply could not drive and was stuck in similar situations.........the very last time I drove was to p/u my son during which I looked up in the rear view mirror and discovered that my left eye was waaaaay off center! That one scared the crap out of me!:eek: That was ENOUGH for me!

Once I started on my prednisone my vision went back to 20/10! It feels GREAT!:D

I hope you get the help you need in order to feel better!

Take care!
Erin:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by GI6607 (Post 567505)
Last Friday evening, I had to travel about ninety miles to swear my nephew in as a 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army. Afterwards, it began to rain, causing a lot of road glare while I was driving home. My eyes stopped functioning! I could not even hold my eyelids open with my fingers. I decided I had to stop at my sister's home twenty five miles away from the university where I swore in my nephew. I missed the turn to my sister's and suddenly found myself driving west in the two east-bound lanes of a four lane highway that had a large island between the two sets of lanes! I take mestinon and imuran, but will do my best not to get caught out in the rain at night! Also, I know it has been mentioned here before, but I believe one reason for eye pain is the fact that I find myself constantly raising my eyebrows to help keep my eyes open. If I make an effort to keep the eyebrows down, my eyes are barely open. I am pretty sure this constant raising of the eyebrows makes those muscles tired, therefore causing aches after hours of being raised.

redtail 09-18-2009 03:21 AM

Yep I understand about the eye thingy to.
Night driving is bad(I never drive at night), as well as driving in the rain, but driving in the rain at night, my eyes just give up completely.
It is nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem, its just a shame I had to find out this way.
Kate

Pat 110 09-18-2009 08:48 AM

Hey GI,

I'm so glad everything turned out okay. That must have been scary. I drive very little during the day, but not at all after dark. My eyes will double from the glare of the oncoming cars. Take care.;)

Hugs,
Pat

Maxwell'sMom 09-18-2009 09:49 AM

I think my heart stopped a beat when I read your post. I can't see well at night either. It has to be an MG thing, I've heard so many people say the same thing about the glare from the rain at night, or just driving at night.
I don't drive much anymore, my arms don't want to stay up there on the wheel, and not sure why, but I find that's kind of important..;)
So, glad you're safe now.
Love Lizzie

Joanmarie63 09-18-2009 10:31 AM

Thank must of been horrifying for you. I too don't drive at night unless I have to, night and me don't mix. I am glad all turned out well and there was no accident.

GI6607 09-23-2009 04:27 PM

Don't tell the police!

It certainly could have been tragic (and my fault). I met another car and did not think anything about it as I usually drive on two-lane highways. Suddenly I noticed a car driving the same direction as me clear over to my right. That is when I realized what I was doing. Yikes! Like so many others on this site we live in a rural area and think little of driving long distances. (I drove nearly 500 miles yesterday and still made it home before it got really dark).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanmarie63 (Post 567868)
Thank must of been horrifying for you. I too don't drive at night unless I have to, night and me don't mix. I am glad all turned out well and there was no accident.