NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Unexplained Weakness (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/103507-unexplained-weakness.html)

Macophile 09-21-2009 08:04 AM

Unexplained Weakness

This might be a little weird, but I noticed yesterday that my right upper leg felt weaker than the rest of my leg and my other leg. I also though my right arm might have felt a little weak, but thought I might have been imagineing it. Today it really does seem that the arm is weaker. (When holding both arms infront of me the right gets tired WAY before the left.) I am not sure how to test the leg- but this seems weird to me. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I'm going to call my Neurologist now and see what he says but I am kind of freaking out, esp. as I had optic neuritis, and they told me to watch out for muscle weakness- is there anything else it could be? Does PN turn into weakness in specific areas?

Macophile 09-21-2009 10:00 AM

Update

OK, my dr. is on call at the hospital today (of course) so He wants me to come to the ER and see him there. He says based on my history, and that it worried me enough to cal him, he might want to keep me overnight. I am thinking I will feel really dumb it this turns out to be nothing.

echoes long ago 09-21-2009 02:23 PM

better to be safe than sorry.

dahlek 09-21-2009 05:58 PM

Do NOT EVER feel dumb!

You got word that your doc'd see you and where! I sure hope you went!

I was dealing with a sudden bout of 'weakness' [as in suddenly I'd lost all leg strength?] and first fell and fractured an ankle. Next month I fell well and good and fractured my leg! I've just gotten 'walking papers' today, meaning I get to go thru extensive PT to relearn how to walk and rebuild muscles that haven't been worked much for the last 4 months.

I wouldn't wish that whole experience on my worst enemy. But, all that's happening to you IS scary. Something must be going on, what it is? Is up to your docs. Or go and get second, third or more opinions until you at least know what it isn't. That's why Liza Jane put together that 'list' and start getting copies of your records and 'checking' things off.

I truly know what it's lilke to suddenly be trundling and then, BOOM! It's as if your legs have dissolved. Do be super-duper careful in the meantime? Falling can be a very messy thing. Many here will attest to that fact.

Let us all know how you are doing, please! Heaps of these:
:hug::hug::hug:'s - j

Macophile 09-22-2009 05:20 AM

Thanks everyone. :) I did go (of course!) and he said since the weakness is not major (I tried telling him that on the phone) and based on the fact my neuro exam seems clean he was comfortable sending me home, but he was going to set up an apt to have me scanned (MRI of the brain and spine) in the next couple of days by an outside party, as the hospital would take a couple weeks. and of course if it gets worse to come in immediately to be admitted.

He is of course worried about MS, but my scan of 3 weeks ago is clean, although that doesn't exactly mean anything as things change. So if the new scans are clean they will have to try to go down other pathways maybe another EMG (oh HELL no.) He also told me he would contact my Rheum. and tell them what was going on in case this would mean something to them.

hoibie@comcast.net 09-22-2009 03:19 PM

Muscle weakness is sometimes caused by statins. Are you taking any?

Macophile 09-22-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoibie@comcast.net (Post 569444)
Muscle weakness is sometimes caused by statins. Are you taking any?

statins? :confused:

Kitt 09-22-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macophile (Post 569521)
statins? :confused:

Yes, statins can cause muscle weakness even in otherwise "healthy" people.

Macophile 09-22-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 569525)
Yes, statins can cause muscle weakness even in otherwise "healthy" people.

I mean what are they? I don't think I am on any- my full drug list is on page 2- Sorry for the confusion.

echoes long ago 09-22-2009 08:27 PM

cholesterol drugs like crestor, lipitor, etc.