NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   unknown, help! (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/103752-unknown-help.html)

tsimons 09-23-2009 05:47 PM

unknown, help!

I was seen at the hospital for 4 days for unk numbness on my left side. What brought me to the ER was the inability to speek which passed quickly. All tests were neg incl mri, ct, eeg, ekg, carotid us and echo. All labs are neg incl spinal tap. I am now having high acidic levels in my mouth and numbness/burning on my tongue and sometimes lips. The numbness has progressed to my left pinky ring finger and thumb, spots on left calf and foot, also pinky and ring finger on rt hand and big toe rt foot. Mood swings and fatigue are crazy and don't seem to be brought on by anything particular. I had surgery to repair my rt shoulder on June 10 and the symptoms started about 3 weeks following. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated, my pcp and neurologist have run out of ideas. Thanks

pabb 09-24-2009 10:43 AM

what was the anesthesia agent used for your surgery?

dahlek 09-24-2009 07:28 PM

Pabb asked a good question...

You have to, no, must ask!
These things [anathesias] can really do a number on folks who are sensitive. Do you remember any interview prior to surgery w/an anathesiologist?
They would have asked you lots of pesky questions about the meds you are on, and the vitamins or supplements.

SINCE all you are experiencing is POST SURGERY? I'd ask your surgeon some hard questions about these side effects and ask for a copy of his surgical report. Yes it's gonna be filled w/a lot of medical 'speak'? But even the simplist mind can pick up on possible 'trouble spots' they mite have encountered.

I have to say tho, that normally? SE's from anathesia usually work out of your system within five or so days...UNLESS you've NOT been walking and hydrating, etc. enough. IF you've not moved enough, this could be aggravating some other pre-existing issue.

Worst thing to do? IS PANIC! So...DON'T!
Try and learn about everything. Beat that potential fear with knowledge!
The fear of the 'what if's and if only's' is what gets to us all. Learning and knowing more about what might be going on is a far better way to defeat fear AND make you able to speak to your doctor about your problems.
None of us here are 'brain surgeons', far from it. But we too have been around a few different blocks of medical issues and all have a lot to share if you ask. :hug:'s - j

pabb 09-25-2009 08:21 AM

i was thinking a B12 def., induced by nitrous oxide......but anes. can have longer term effects.....and yes hydration is important!