NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Speech THerapy Office -- talking to fast on the phone (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/104267-speech-therapy-office-talking-fast-phone.html)

Mari 09-29-2009 01:46 PM

Speech THerapy Office -- talking to fast on the phone

Hi,

I tell the phone people I had a stroke.
I very clearly ask for help.
I tell them to talk on the phone slowly to me.
Hello!!! :confused:
I have no clue what they say so I ask them to spell the word.
It takes a few times because they are still talking too fast.
I started crying.

I have an appointment for Oct 8 at 11:00 am.
It's close to where I live.
I'm not fully awake at 11:00 am -- I wonder how the 1 hour long evaluation will go.

M.

Abbie 09-29-2009 04:37 PM

Mari...
How frustrating that must be for you... Some people just don't understand..

You would think that since it is a Speech Therapy Office they "should" know the people calling may have hearing or cognitive problems along with speech problems.

Because my brain jumps around so much I have trouble understanding people who have thick accents.... my brain kind of shuts off because I can't understand what they are saying.

Sending you :hug::hug: hoping things go well at your appointment... maybe since you aren't completely awake by 11:00am they can get a really go feeling for how you hear and speak.

:hug:
Abbie

Dmom3005 09-29-2009 05:44 PM

Mari

Sending you some hugs too. Also wondering how many times the patient themselve usually calls this office. I would guess this is part of the problem.

I would make sure when you go that you say something to the speech pathologist. They need to know there is a problem with the person answering the phone.

Please take care of yourself and drive safely.

Donna

bizi 09-29-2009 05:55 PM

this sounds very upsetting for you
I am sorry
bizi

waves 09-30-2009 07:29 AM

Dear Mari,

I'm so sorry you had to deal with this insensitive / imperceptive behavior. These people need some waking up. You got enough crud without being driven to tears trying to make a speech therapy appointment.

But you got through it! You have an appointment now. Well done! I hope that goes well. :hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmom3005 (Post 572426)
Also wondering how many times the patient themselve usually calls this office. I would guess this is part of the problem.

good call. oops no pun intended. i meant that's an astute observation, Donna.

Quote:

I would make sure when you go that you say something to the speech pathologist. They need to know there is a problem with the person answering the phone.
ABSOLUTELY! :hissyfit: ARRRRGHHH!

~ waves ~

Dmom3005 09-30-2009 03:49 PM

Its more because I know that in the case of kids we adults make the calls.

In the case of those that have parents that need this service. And can't
always drive themselve. We have to make the call.

Donna

Mari 10-02-2009 12:00 AM

tired of keeping the secret at work

HI,
I've got lots of appointments to take care of.

The speech therapy is currently scheduled at the same time as a biggish meeting at work next week.

I'm going to ask one of the big bosses for permission to be out due to a medical appointment. I am tired of trying to keep this thing secret -- I need to help my recovery.

M.

befuddled2 10-02-2009 03:19 AM

Mari,

Bobby had a stroke 6 months ago and I can see how it affected his speech. He was really self conscious about it at 1st I believe. I would imagine that your boss should understand it if she/he knew you had a stroke and would need to make appointments. But then some bosses only care about the employees being at work. It's a tough call to make.

I can imagine how frustrating talking to the doctor's office was also.

barbara

Mari 10-02-2009 08:57 AM

HI, Barbara,
The culture of my workplace is that people are not supposed to be sick. People take off work without telling anyone why.

Very strange place.

M.

befuddled2 10-02-2009 09:05 AM

Hi Mari,

I believe some places people work have a stigma on people who are out sick thinking it will be a habit. Maybe this is why your job place does not say they are sick when taking off. My ex did not take off from work anymore after being repriminded once for taking off too much time to be fitted for dentures. He worked for a big corporation so you would think they would have been understanding.

How are you today?

Barbara