NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Keep on Moving Club: October 2009 (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/104406-moving-club-october-2009-a.html)

BBS1951 09-30-2009 04:48 PM

Keep on Moving Club: October 2009

MS sometimes makes it hard to keep moving, exercising, stretching, so we do less and less. Before long, its not just MS that interferes with our mobility and health, its also atrophy of muscle causing more balance problems and more muscle weakness.

So, we started a Club to support and encourage us to keep moving --You use it or you lose it! So, what do you do-- do you stretch, do you walk, swim, aquacise, isometrics, lift free weights, Wii,calisthenics? Please join the club.
!

I swim a mile a day. In 2004, I was so weak, I could not walk across a room. Now I swim a mile every single day and I do free weights twice weekly to help with osteoporosis prevention. Cherie (clinical1) was able to stop using her w/c after she religiously worked on a pool based stretch/exercise routine daily.

What do you do?

Debbie D 09-30-2009 05:35 PM

I haven't been as religious about working out the past couple of weeks due to spasticity. So I've been stretching and doing some yoga, and I get over to the gym when I'm energetic enough to do some bike or efx machines and weight training.
My neuro's nurse told me last week to get in the water...it is easier to work in the water, but I tend to push myself until I get overheated and asthma rears it's ugly head. So I have to learn to take it easy...yeah, right.:rolleyes:

BBS1951 09-30-2009 06:32 PM

You are a real energizer bunny!

Your nurse is right about getting into the water. You won't overheat in the pool, unless the pool is heated too high. Keep up the great work :)

I swam a mile in the pool today. Its refreshing. Its a pain to put on and take off the pool cover,but its worth it :)

ewizabeth 09-30-2009 07:08 PM

Ok in celebration of Oct. 1st, I will do Pilates tomorrow, I think. Or maybe shoot baskets, or both. :lookaround: If I can pry myself out of my chair and get moving.

Erin524 09-30-2009 07:22 PM

My vision seems better now, so I might try the pool at the gym later this week (the lights in their pool area are super harsh on the eyes) I'm going to go into the pool area at some point just to see if the lights are still nasty to my eyeballs.

I'm wondering if I might feel better with the numbness while in water. I'm guessing I'll be able to tell where it is easier then. (I think the numbness extends into my back, but sometimes I cant really tell)

I was thinking of just getting in and walking back and forth in the pool for a little bit, rather than treadmilling sometimes.

BBS1951 10-01-2009 05:12 PM

That sounds like a good plan Erin. Let us know if it works out well fro you.

Ewiz, did you get to do PIlates or basketball?

I swam a mile this morning, and last night I lifted weights for 30 mins while watching Kate Hudson in French Kiss. A cute movie.

ewizabeth 10-01-2009 05:23 PM

No, I didn't exercise today. :o Tomorrow I go to see the neuro early for my infusion, so maybe on Saturday? I wonder if I need to have my ADs increased?

Erin524 10-02-2009 01:07 AM

I just did a load of laundry. Does that count as exercise?

Dejibo 10-02-2009 08:32 AM

Walked a mile yesterday and another today. We even picked up the pace a bit so I am sweating! :eek:

sheesh! I need a nap. :p

SallyC 10-02-2009 11:01 AM

Did my stretches and then changed the bedding (not an easy job for me) Thank you Lord..:)