NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   New Member with Questions (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/105438-questions.html)

nateco 10-12-2009 04:19 PM

New Member with Questions

Folks, I want to thank you in advance for any and all help I receive from this site. My preliminary findings are very encouraging but I do have a very specific question about PN. Many of the posts that I read were from people who have suffered for 10 to 20 years:

1. Is this something one lives with forever?
2. Can it reach the stage where a limb must be amputated?
3. I am without a job or medical coverage. Are there any generic medicines
for PN?
4. Or, should I start with vitamins?

I am Pre-diabetic and I am trying to loose 25 lbs to help with my situation but it is a slow process.

Thanks again and God bless all of you.

nateco

frank405 10-12-2009 11:37 PM

I am a newbie to this site myself and I have found that the old-timers on this board are very knowledgeable. It's a great group of people that post here and I am positive that you will soon get answers to your questions.

Best Wishes

Frank

Brian 10-12-2009 11:46 PM

Hi nateco & welcome to this forum.

Q - Is this something one lives with forever?
A - Depends if the cause can be found and recified, nerves can regenerate.

Q-Can it reach the stage where a limb must be amputated?
A- No.

Q- 3. sorry I live in Australia so another member may be able to help you with this question.

Q-4 or should I start with vitamins?
A- Yes, I would include supplements plus pain relief drugs, if your nerve damage is from prediabetes as mine was then I would definatly get these supplements, R lipioc acid and gamma-linolenic acid 480 mg daily, plus a multi B taken with breakfast plus B12 [ methylcobalamin] 1-5 mg daily taken on an empty stomach .
I also had to change my diet and loose weight to get back to normal blood sugars levels, loosing weight is a slow process and so is nerve regeneration.
good luck
Brian :)

nide44 10-13-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nateco (Post 577436)

1. Is this something one lives with forever?

It is chronic and there is no known cure at this time

2. Can it reach the stage where a limb must be amputated?

I am not aware of this as an option, although some of us have thought of it in times of stress - but not seriously, in hindsight.
(S
tress is a large contributing factor in relationship to symptoms & pain.)

3. I am without a job or medical coverage. Are there any generic medicines
for PN?

Not that I'm aware of, athough suppliments, anti-oxidents, and vitamins do help nerve re-growth

4. Or, should I start with vitamins?

B-12 in the Methyl-cobalamin form has shown to be helpful,
as well as ALA
(Alpha Lipoic Acid) or
RLA, Fish Oil, & CoQ10.