NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Home & Garden Talk (https://www.neurotalk.org/home-and-garden-talk/)
-   -   Do you cut tall grasses down in fall or spring? (https://www.neurotalk.org/home-and-garden-talk/105523-cut-tall-grasses-fall-spring.html)

Debbie D 10-13-2009 12:26 PM

Do you cut tall grasses down in fall or spring?

Anyone know if you're supposed to cut tall grasses like zebra grass down in the fall? Mine grew to about 6 feet this year, and I have a feeling that they're going to get messy once snow comes. But I don't want to interfere with anything in the grasses if they're supposed to be tall over the winter.

Any info would be appreciated...

SandyC 10-13-2009 12:46 PM

I haven't touched mine thinking they should be left alone. Now you have me wondering too. lol

mrsD 10-13-2009 01:06 PM

Here is an article that may help:

http://www.flower-gardening-made-eas...l-grasses.html

Debbie D 10-13-2009 05:01 PM

Thanks-that was a very informative article. This past spring, I decided to burn the dead stalks that were left from last year, just the way our neighbor with a weed yard---ahem, I mean prairie field--does. While I did burn down the dead stalks, I also burned the new spring tips...they looked kind of funny:rolleyes:

ewizabeth 10-13-2009 11:49 PM

I leave my plants over the winter so the birds can eat the seeds when it gets cold. It doesn't look quite as nice but I figure more of the plant gets recycled naturally that way. And it helps the wildlife too. :) I do a big clean up in the spring when there are other food sources available to them.

braingonebad 10-14-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewizabeth (Post 577983)
I leave my plants over the winter so the birds can eat the seeds when it gets cold. It doesn't look quite as nice but I figure more of the plant gets recycled naturally that way. And it helps the wildlife too. :) I do a big clean up in the spring when there are other food sources available to them.

Same with me. I live by the adage, *He who rakes last, rakes least*. And there is somewhat less to get rid of in spring than fall. I leave ALL my plants up.

Birds have adjusted to eating the seeds off almost every plant, and it's nice to watch when that's all that's going on out there in the snow.

And think of it this way too, that no matter HOW well I clean up in winter, it's a disaster come spring. Why do it all 2 times? Lazy gardening by Brain.

:D

mamagoo 07-18-2010 05:21 PM

just noticed this thread... what the maintenence staff for Cabela's does with all the many that are planted around the stores and call centers here in Nebraska... In the spring they get a belt long enought to reach around the whole thing and chinch it up tight and the huge ones they will buckle 2 belts together to reach around then they take a chain saw and cut if off about 4-6 inches above the ground. They put the belt above where they are going to cut so that it holds everything together to take it out to dispose of.

Stillfighting 08-12-2010 11:19 AM

Grasses

I think one of the main purposes in planting grasses is the winter interest. I left (whatever didn't get squashed by snow) wel into spring. It however like everything else is a personal choice,

Debbie D 09-07-2010 03:17 PM

I left my tall zebra grasses tall last winter...they were beautiful, and gave our family room some windbreak too. I just cut them as low as possible this past spring. They're ready to be thinned out this fall...

Zipster 04-27-2012 03:06 PM

I agree - wildlife really likes the "messy look" - not only do birds like the tall grasses, but also rabbits like them for nesting in the spring. (And yes, rabbits do eat some of the plants, but for me, at least, the eco-diversity is worth it!)

Just my two cents!