NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Toxic neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/106184-toxic-neuropathy.html)

triviafriend 10-20-2009 10:09 AM

Toxic neuropathy

After three months from diagnosis (and three months off medication thought to cause neuropathy) I seem to be improving. Hard to believe, but have lost numbness in my left hand, and gained strength in both feet. I am praying that the toxic diagnosis is correct (not idiopathic and stuck with forever) and I can overcome this awful disease (Neurontin no help whatsoever, and Lyrica not covered by insurance and VERY expensive). I am seeing some rays of hope, and wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar?
By the way, the vitamin therapy in the stickies is awsome (Dr. says waste of time...jerk). I noticed much faster recovery when I started regime. Thanks to this forum...it hel:grouphug:ps me every day!

pabb 10-20-2009 10:33 AM

what drug is presumed to be the causative agent?

Brian 10-20-2009 10:46 AM

Wonderfull news, I hope you continue to improve, just don't get dissapointed if you notice some flaring of symptoms at differant times whilst healing as it is a natural process, over time the flaring gets less often and less severe, It took 5 years for me to heal completely.

best of luck to you
Brian :)

Hope15 10-20-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 580370)
Wonderfull news, I hope you continue to improve, just don't get dissapointed if you notice some flaring of symptoms at differant times whilst healing as it is a natural process, over time the flaring gets less often and less severe, It took 5 years for me to heal completely.

best of luck to you
Brian :)

Hi Brian. Can you tell me more about the flaring you had as you healed? Thanks.... :)

since95 10-20-2009 02:22 PM

triviafriend

How long were you on Prozac for?

triviafriend 10-21-2009 08:12 PM

Prozac for three months. However, I am a recovering alcoholic. Haven't had a drink in several years (so even Doctors dismissed alcohol as cause), but took Antibuse (which lists pn as a side effect). This is what is believed to be causative agent in pn. By the way, recovery is continuing daily...I am shocked at how sick I was, and how quickly the symptoms are resolving themselves (about three months). I hope to be back to normal at six months, but one never knows! Any recovering alcoholics out there...DON'T TAKE ANTIBUSE!

mrsD 10-22-2009 07:26 AM

Antabuse is a drug metabolized like alcohol, and Flagyl ...both which cause PN.

This sort of suggests you have a problem with that pathway.

So the supplement Benfotiamine, may be useful for you.
Thiamine is the cofactor in the metabolism of alcohol.

I'd start at 300mg a day of Benfotiamine. You may be able to reduce to 150mg a day, after a few months.
I'd also try acetyl carnitine, since this has shown benefit in
drug induced neuropathies as well.
If you go to iherb.com there are some prices on both of these.
Doctor's Best brand and NOW are both very good quality.

triviafriend 11-01-2009 01:37 AM

thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 581157)
Antabuse is a drug metabolized like alcohol, and Flagyl ...both which cause PN.

This sort of suggests you have a problem with that pathway.

So the supplement Benfotiamine, may be useful for you.
Thiamine is the cofactor in the metabolism of alcohol.

I'd start at 300mg a day of Benfotiamine. You may be able to reduce to 150mg a day, after a few months.
I'd also try acetyl carnitine, since this has shown benefit in
drug induced neuropathies as well.
If you go to iherb.com there are some prices on both of these.
Doctor's Best brand and NOW are both very good quality.

Thanks! My neuropathy is gone completely in my left hand, and leaving my right. My feet are taking longer, but my chiropractor says this is normal, since they are farther from my heart. His name is Corey Clements, by the way, in Long Beach, CA, and I would recommend him above all other Docs, Neuros, etc...he is invaluable in helping with pain and also is very affordable ($75 for 4 visits). He has helped me by far than anyone else. Good luck to all with this very painful and depressing disorder.

triviafriend 11-01-2009 01:42 AM

Prozac

Quote:

Originally Posted by since95 (Post 580442)
triviafriend

How long were you on Prozac for?

Antibuse is probably causitive agent. NEVER take this med.

mrsD 11-01-2009 02:58 AM

I am happy for you that you are improving. Sometimes it takes time to see results, and patience.

Since you have a problem with Antabuse, keep in mind for the future to avoid Flagyl (metronidazole) antibiotic if possible.
This drug is metabolized the same way as Antabuse and carries the same PN potential. There may be a time when you cannot avoid this treatment, and if so, keep the Benfotiamine in mind and premedicate and take during the course.