NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   NSAIDs that Can Worsen MS-Related Fatigue (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/106290-nsaids-worsen-ms-related-fatigue.html)

Kitty 10-21-2009 11:46 AM

NSAIDs that Can Worsen MS-Related Fatigue

http://ms.about.com/od/treatments/a/...tigue.htm?nl=1

While much of our fatigue comes from the disease process itself or MS-related heat intolerance, there are many secondary causes of fatigue in MS. One thing that may be contributing to your fatigue could actually be some of the medications that you are taking to slow your MS or deal with specific symptoms. If you suffer from MS-related fatigue, it is important to investigate all possible causes, including side effects from some of your medications.

SallyC 10-21-2009 12:41 PM

I only take Bayer aspirin, when needed..:)

legzzalot 10-21-2009 01:17 PM

Started provigil today to treat the fatigue... after a bad night/ morning from the Avonex. This is what I remember... I remember taking the Provigil around 10 this morning.... the next thing I remember is DH2B waking me up when he got home around 1:30.

SallyC 10-21-2009 01:46 PM

Maybe you should take a sleeping pill to wake up..:D

legzzalot 10-21-2009 03:37 PM

Oh it gets better I apparently slept through 4 missed calls, the dog barking when the man came home and he was home for about half an hour before I woke up.

I think the wires in my brain have crossed somewhere and I am just bass ackwards!

Debbie D 10-21-2009 09:04 PM

I've been taking prescription meloxicam for more than a few years for arthritis pain that OTC Nsaids can't touch...the fatigue I'm experiencing has only been present for the last year or so, except for fibro fatigue...

doydie 10-21-2009 11:22 PM

I may just have to drop my Aleve twice a day. I have said that I hadn't regained all my 'uuumph' since I injured my back but maybe it's because of the Aleve I added to my pharmacy. My back is fine now but my feet still hurt and podiatrist suggested staying on the Aleve for the faciaitis (SP?) and heel spur.

Blessings2You 10-22-2009 05:34 AM

I'm with Debbie...I've been taking Naproxen twice a day for...um, forever, I guess. Just yesterday my doctor reminded me that I was taking the "recommended dose" (in other words, as much as I can) and there are times that I'd sell my inheritance for an extra dose.

I've had arthritis longer than I've had MS symptoms, but for me it's a moot point whether or not the Naproxen is contributing to the fatigue. If awake means sitting there watching my ankle throb, I'd just as soon be asleep. :D

Kitty 10-22-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessings2You (Post 581131)
I've had arthritis longer than I've had MS symptoms, but for me it's a moot point whether or not the Naproxen is contributing to the fatigue. If awake means sitting there watching my ankle throb, I'd just as soon be asleep. :D

I agree, B2Y. Everyone has to weigh the benefits of being without pain against the benefits of having more energy. If more energy means you're only going to notice your pain more then it's not worth it. Sometimes sleep is the body's way of healing (or trying to heal) itself and we should listen to it and not push ourselves. :)

ewizabeth 10-22-2009 12:40 PM

My DH has a lot of arthritis pain in his back and legs and was taking a lot of ibuprofen. I've got him on a gluten free diet and he feels a lot better. There are actually lots of things he can eat. I bought a special bread machine and make him some tasty gluten free bread in it. Our sons have been eating as much of it as DH is.

Anyway, a bit off topic but I thought I'd toss that out there for anyone having a lot of arthritis pain. :grouphug:

The gluten free diet didn't do a thing for my MS fatigue though, which was why I originally tried it. I think I even got a bit worse during my six week trial of GF eating. :rolleyes: