NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   10 yr old female cat drinking alot and peeing on floor?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/106523-10-yr-female-cat-drinking-alot-peeing-floor.html)

misshayleesmom 10-25-2009 12:02 AM

10 yr old female cat drinking alot and peeing on floor??

My 10 yr old female cat has started peeing on the floor.
I noticed a couple of hours ago and it was a huge amount.
She's never done this before, she's also drinking alot.

I have since moved the litter box on the main floor and i have blocked off the stairway and the carpeting.. she's pretty ticked at me for blocking her off.. she's pacing.

She's also vomiting alot of water, her food has been taken away but she has fresh water.

I'm concerned about her.... i'm dreading the day when ultimately we have to make a decision.. Hubby is out of town till tomorrow night.

I can't afford to take her to the vet, what with all the testing etc any advice?

Koala77 10-25-2009 12:31 AM

I'm wondering about diabetes! Older cats are more prone to this condition than younger ones and your cat's symptoms certainly sound suspicious.

Excessive thirst is frequently a sign of diabetes (in animals as well as humans), as is increased urination. Incontinence may be a result of a bladder infection which often accompanies this ailment.

I think your cat needs checking out with a vet as soon as you can arange it.

I'm sure she'll be just fine but do get back to us when you know a bit more.

Jomar 10-25-2009 12:35 AM

has there been a change in her food recently?

sounds like a possible UTI infection.

other info-

Hockey 10-25-2009 07:13 AM

Vet bills can be awful. However, as she has all the symptoms, you're vet might be willing, especially if plan B is euthanasia, to treat her for urinary tract infection without the expensive diagnostic testing. Afterall, the antibiotics aren't going to kill her and vets (and doctors) guess and treat symptoms more often then they'd care to admit.

Besides, most vets have realized that a lot of their clients are struggling in this economy and are more willing to be flexible over charges and payment. If your vet isn't, shop around.

Good luck. Pets are family and I know how hard it is when they're ailing.:hug:

mrsD 10-25-2009 07:39 AM

Diabetes and kidney failure are the two most likely scenarios.

My son has a cat with deformed kidneys and she drinks water like crazy. She has done well on the special kidney diet he gives her.

Most people do not realize, as this information is new, that feline vaccinations for distemper, can cause autoimmune kidney disease in cats. It is now thought that vaccines are the major cause of kidney failure in cats.

This is a good overall article.

this is about the vaccines

Since vaccines increase autoimmune issues in HUMANS, it makes sense that they do this to cats too. Vaccines in cats can also cause vaccination induced sarcoma (cancer).

I hope you find an answer soon, for your kitty.

SandyC 10-25-2009 11:37 AM

I agree, it sounds like it may be a kidney or liver issue. I've had cats with both and they did the same thing. When she vomits is it bright yellow? That is a clear sign it could be the liver or kidneys. If she will let you, check her eyes for yellowing. Also pinch her fur on the back near the neck. If it sticks together and doesn't fall back naturally she is dehydrated.

I understand about the vet bills. I just paid 200 to find out my kitty has a behavior problem but we had to be sure it wasn't anything worse. That paid for the blood work, visit and urine testing. They did a cystoscopy with sedation because he was so upset.

BlueMajo 10-25-2009 03:33 PM

Im thinking about poisoning too...

When my dog ate a cotton with medicine he started to pee and pee all over the place... He needed a... hum, how do you say, a stomach wash (???)

Good luck with your cat !!! let us know.

misshayleesmom 10-25-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 582300)
I agree, it sounds like it may be a kidney or liver issue. I've had cats with both and they did the same thing. When she vomits is it bright yellow? That is a clear sign it could be the liver or kidneys. If she will let you, check her eyes for yellowing. Also pinch her fur on the back near the neck. If it sticks together and doesn't fall back naturally she is dehydrated.

I understand about the vet bills. I just paid 200 to find out my kitty has a behavior problem but we had to be sure it wasn't anything worse. That paid for the blood work, visit and urine testing. They did a cystoscopy with sedation because he was so upset.

She hasn't had any accidents today, nor is she vomitting .
When she did vomit yesterday it was clear and foamy.

I will keep an eye on her and then i will bring her in, hopefully it's not something too serious.

SandyC 10-25-2009 06:05 PM

It could simply be she's trying to tell you something. Plus, once they mark a spot they tend to go back. I am using scat mats by my basement stairs so my cat doesn't go down there. I also bought Natures Miracle and used that on the places he wants to pee. Oh, but my $60 Sketchers? He almost got thrown out for that. lol

My vet suggested we not put anything on the floor that he's known to pee on. She also said to confine him if he does it again. They also put him on Prozac every other day and it's helping BIG TIME. Yep, you read that right, we have a Prozac cat. haha They also said to clean the box everyday and add a second one if need be.

Hope yours is fine and doesn't need to go in. White and foamy is sometimes just a hairball stuck. It is that time of year when they start to shed off the summer coat and get ready for winter. Rick puked all the time but it turned out it was his nerves and/or hairballs. He would eat too fast in fear Bergie, my dog, would eat his food. Now he's chilled out.

Hockey 10-26-2009 05:18 AM

I'm glad to hear it might not be too serious. Keep us posted.