NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   cymbalta ??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/106655-cymbalta.html)

sabimax 10-26-2009 05:07 PM

cymbalta ???

anyone here take it for nerve pain, or spasticity pain... or just pain in general?? how do you like it... pros and cons...
I am on neurontin for nerve pain and baclofen for the spasticity.. but the pain is worse the stiffness pain.. neuro now mentions trying cymbalta... to start some and if helps a sx.. then back off which ever the other two drugs was for that sx....

any tips.. not sure on taking it.. not sure anymroe of anything...tired of pain tired of yet drugs.... helppp hugss,sarah

AZjanie 10-27-2009 04:36 PM

I did take cymbalta a while back and it did help with nerve pain I was having.

It is a mood elevator so if it doesn't help with the pain at least you will smile through it.:rolleyes:

I tapered off all my meds and doing well now but cymbalta did help.

NurseNancy 10-27-2009 07:36 PM

hi sarah :)

i took cymbalta in the past and didn't notice any of the beneficial effects it was supposed to have. meds are so different for everyone.

sabimax 10-27-2009 09:07 PM

thanks all... thinkin it over... can not hurt to try something new.. just not a drug taking person.. although on neurontin and baclofen lol.. oh and if need for pain... tramadol ... hugss,sarah

soxmom 10-28-2009 08:10 AM

I found cymbalta to be useless in my case. I would have to say Neurontin
is my drug of choice for burning, zapping pain.:) I hope it helps you Sarah,
its worth a try.:hug:

tkrik 10-28-2009 10:55 AM

As you know, I say give it a try. It may work well enough for you that you don't need the other 3 meds. You don't know until you try and don't have anything to lose by trying it.

sabimax 11-02-2009 10:27 AM

Sox I like the neurontin for nerve pain too, not havin any issues with nerve pain since been on that... I guess due to the pain I am in most days, due to the spasticity, he wants me to try the cymbalta.... I am just not a medicine taker lol... thanks ,sarah

freeinhou 11-02-2009 06:14 PM

I took it for about 2 weeks in August. I have, IMHO, severe neuropathy in both feet/lower legs. The first 3 days on Cymbalta I was almost normal.

I was in the process of increasing dose when I got slammed by the flu and blamed the Cymbalta for one of the persistent symptoms. Doc says I was wrong and he proved it to me.

I will start up again but I gotta go to the doctor's office to get a prescription and I can't see that happening any time soon. Wait! I get November 11th off! Nah. That's L-5 days, I gotta go in to work. Shuttle launches the sixteenth and this is my mission.

Tom

Twinkletoes 11-02-2009 06:59 PM

I have a DIL who took it for a mood elevator. She said it worked for a year or two, but then quit helping. Now she claims she can't quit taking it -- that she's addicted. She wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be right for you, Sarah. Good luck!

Hailly 11-03-2009 03:38 PM

I take cymbalta for bladder

I take a small dose for my bladder dysfunction and I can tell you that it causes some weight gain.
My doctor kept raising the amount until I decided to go back down to smaller dose.

Warning, you can't go off of the larger amounts all at once. You have to slowly go down so be sure you tell your doctor (and pharmist) what you are doing.