NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Some Windows 7 info (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/107420-windows-7-info.html)

Jomar 11-06-2009 01:54 AM

Some Windows 7 info

I got this in a newsletter from cyberinsecure -

"Windows 7 Default UAC Bypassed By 8 Out Of 10 Malware Samples"
{that means 8 malware infected the machine}

[On October 22nd, researchers settled in at SophosLabs and loaded a full release copy of Windows 7 on a clean machine. They configured it to follow the system defaults for User Account Control (UAC) and did not load any anti-virus software. They grabbed the next 10 unique samples that arrived in the SophosLabs feed to see how well the newer, more secure version of Windows and UAC held up. Unfortunately, despite Microsoft’s claims, Windows 7 disappointed just like earlier versions of Windows. The good news is that, of the freshest 10 samples that arrived, 2 would not operate correctly under Windows 7.]
the full story here-
http://cyberinsecure.com/windows-7-d...lware-samples/

allentgamer 11-06-2009 04:08 PM

I just installed windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, and really like how it works so far.

It does have a action center notice that says my anti-virus isnt turned on. I am using Norton, and have the windows defender turned off. But I can live with this.

It was real nice to install, as it installed all the drivers during installation. So no need for motherboard, graphics cards, or any other device drivers....that was sweet!!

One thing I noticed right away is that a lot of the ways we would get into certain areas in windows is now different. So it has a learning curve for those that like to mess around with drivers, and the look and feel of their desk top. Nothing too bad though :winky:

stagger 11-29-2009 10:14 AM

Hello,
Because I live out in the boondocks and only have that slow dialup service I am considering purchasing another cheap Dell desktop with win7 installed. I now have a dell 2400 and a workstation given to me when I retired from nc cnc programming. I will probably network these units together. Keeping my security updated takes so much time just having the dialup. Going satellite is too costly at this time.

allentgamer 11-29-2009 04:32 PM

Well it has been a few weeks now with windows 7, and I am about to go back to vista. There are couple of minor things that I am not happy with, but use all the time so Im having trouble getting used to these changes.

One of them is when using windows media to look at pictures I cant use the scroll wheel, it forces me to use a slider bar to zoom in or out. Very annoying. Although I was using my daughters laptop with windows 7 home edition, and I could use the wheel to zoom with. So it seems that it is only on the ultimate version that the wheel cant be used.
To verify this I checked out my son in laws pc with ultimate 7, and it also wasnt able to use the wheel.

And the main reason I am switching back is firefox keeps crashing. They say they are working on this glitch, but I like firefox too much to go without. Hopefully they get that fixed soon.

Hey stagger have you looked at the barebone offerings at tigerdirect.com? They have some inexpensive bundles that would blow the el cheapo dell's out of the water, and for a lot less than the cheapest dell.

TwoKidsTwoCats 11-30-2009 01:42 AM

I went from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 home edition and love it! It is behaving much nicer :D.

Allen you mentioned the scroll wheel not functioning in the places you need it to. I was having an issue with that also. I ended up installing the drivers for my wireless keyboard and mouse instead of using the Windows default ones. I can scroll, zoom, use all the features on my keyboard and mouse now. It's late and I hope that makes some sense!