NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Prednisone and weight gain (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/107851-prednisone-weight-gain.html)

dog lover 11-11-2009 06:33 PM

Prednisone and weight gain

I started taking Pred 3 weeks ago. My Dr. asked me yesterday if I have an increased appetite or felt like I was retaining water from it. I told him I occasionally feel like I am retaining water but so far no increased appetite or weight gain. I am drinking alot and wonder if the water retention feeling is from that. I am wondering does the weight gain come from an increase in appetite only or can you still gain weight if you continue to eat the same amount of food and exercise? One of my biggest fears with Pred was the weight gain. The Dr. told me yesterday he plans to keep me on it long term so I want to be prepared if weight gain is going to be something I can't keep under control with diet and exercise.
Kendra

Maxwell'sMom 11-11-2009 06:41 PM

I read an article once through John Hopkins, and they said most patients on Prednisone, even the most strictest of eaters will gain weight, just from the drug alone.
A very small percent may lose weight, but the percentage is small. Also there is weight disturbution as well.
Love Lizzie
http://vasculitis.med.jhu.edu/treatm...ne.html#weight

dog lover 11-11-2009 07:47 PM

prednisone and weight gain

Lizzie,
Yikes that scares me. I was affraid of that but was hoping it was something I could avoid with diet and exercise. Thanks for the info.
Kendra

Nicknerd 11-11-2009 08:19 PM

Hey Kendra,

I've been on at least 60mgs of prednisone since the end of July (so a little over 3-months). I haven't gained any weight, maybe a pound or two. However, my face has swollen to almost three times its normal size. I know it's a downer, but it's a given that it could happen. I'm not sure if that's much of a problem on a lower dosage, though. Also, reducing the amount of salt in the diet helps with the swelling. I notice a difference if I've eaten potato chips, or fast food of some sort each day or not in regards to the swelling.

dog lover 11-11-2009 08:56 PM

Hey Nicky,
Do you take 60mg every day or every other? I am sooo glad to hear you haven't gained any weight!!! I have been reading some stuff on the internet tonight and it said exactly what you did about trying to keep salt intake down. That is going to be tough for me, I love salty popcorn. I am definitely going to try and start using less though. I also read that eating foods high in potassium helps keep weight gain down. I need to start eating a banana every day too I think. Thanks for the info. I feel better after hearing how you've done with it.
Kendra

Nicknerd 11-11-2009 09:05 PM

No prob., Kendra! I take 60 mgs everyday.

It also makes the appetite ravenous! Tonight, I decided to rent the 4th season of Lost and saw a Tim Hortons on the way, and had a sudden craving for a donut, so I obviously had to buy 6:o...I've had one, and plan on eating one more- and then I will restrain myself....These steroids make foods seem unbelievable delectably scrumptrulesant at times! I don't have these cravings all the time, though...Just the odd time...

Ditto on the bananas...I keep forgetting to buy them, I will definately grab some tomorrow...

I asked my pharmacist about taking a potassium supplement because I heard that potassium-rich foods might not cut it while taking high doses of prednisone...She told me that it's a bit dangerous to take potassium supplements, and you actually need a prescription- which makes sense...Did your doc. mention anything to you about possibly taking a supplement?

Ttys!
Nicky

dog lover 11-11-2009 09:14 PM

Nicky,
I take 40 mg every other day. I am going to have a hard time if I start having major cravings. We don't have Tim Whorton's here in the US, is that a donut shop?

No my Neuro didn't say anything about taking a potassium supplement. I just found that doing some research online. I have read too that it can be dangerous to take the supplements. He did tell me that I needed to take at least 1,200 mg of Calcium daily to avoid weak bones and osteoporosis as I get older. Also told me to take Vit D daily. I bought a bottle of Os-Cal which has Calcium + Vit D in it.
Kendra

Maxwell'sMom 11-11-2009 09:39 PM

Nicky, and Kendra

I've been on Prednisone daily for 5 1/2 years. I haven't had one single day with out it. I'm usually pretty strict with myself, and I gain weight too. It goes up and down, depending on the dose.
I haven't gotten any horrible cravings like some have. I've not had a krispy Kreme doughnut in about two years, and before that, about 3. There are some things, I'm afraid to feed my Prednisone infested taste-buds!!!
When I do crave food, it's tomato soup, kosher dill pickles, and celery, lots of celery. I just can't get enough of it during those times.

I once knew someone who couldn't eat anything but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Now that wouldn't be good at all.
I love them both, but am careful about the sugar levels, can't imagine what I'd do if I craved them.:cool:
love Lizzie

dog lover 11-11-2009 09:53 PM

Lizzie,
Gosh if you're craving tomato soup, pickles and celery that is pretty good. None of those are fattening foods. So far I can't say I've had horrendous cravings. I do seem to crave more sugar than before. I'm not sure if that's related to the pred or not. I bought some yogurt and granola bars to help with my sweet tooth although tonight I broke down and had Oreos. I have had really good results from the Pred and if I gain a few pounds I can live with that. I have heard these stories of people who have gained 30 or 40 pounds in a month or two of being on it and that is what scares me. I think being strict with myself like you said may be the trick. How many mg's of pred are you on daily Lizzie?
Kendra

KathyV 11-12-2009 11:54 AM

Book recommendation

When I was put on prednisone (40mg daily) back in July, I was really freaking out about the possible weight gain. I was already overweight but had just started a low-salt diet recommended by my doctor for my blood pressure.

Based on a recommendation on this forum, I bought the book, "Coping With Prednisone" by Eugenia Zukerman and Julie R. Ingelfinger, M.D. I found it very helpful. It talks about a lot of things the doctors or pharmacists don't mention. I stuck to a low-salt, low-fat, low-sugar diet and lost weight (25 pounds so far). Granted I was only on prednisone for 3 months and my doctor began reducing the dosage after 2 weeks. I didn't experience any cravings or mood problems, so guess I was lucky.

If you are going to be on it long-term, it's important that you educate yourself about all the possible side effects.