NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Baclofen for leg movement at night? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/108381-baclofen-leg-movement-night.html)

doydie 11-18-2009 11:22 PM

Baclofen for leg movement at night?

I have been taking Clonazepan for it and it works fine but it isn't on my new insurance formulary. So I called my neuro and she ordered Baclofen. Any ideas how this works with you all? Only problem is that it is a teir 3!!!!!!:(:confused::mad::eek: I may just call the pharmacy and see how much Clonazepan is without insurance.

hollym 11-19-2009 10:51 AM

What the heck? Clonazepam is generic and has been for over 10 years. How can it be 3rd tier???

I looked at Costco.com and their price is $8.95 for 30 of the .5mg, $9.68 for 50, and $11.13 for 100.

hollym 11-19-2009 10:56 AM

Wait a minute! Did you say Baclofen is tier 3? That is also generic and I've seen it on Wal-Mart's $4 generic list. Only problem with that for me is that I take way more than 30 balcofen in a month (more like 240 per month), so my $10 copay is cheaper.

I went back to Costco and looked at baclofen and it is $5.69 for 30 of the 10mg, $7.21 for 50, and $10.34 for 100. So, it is even cheaper than the clonazepam.

What the heck kind of insurance plan is this that is excluding and charging high copays for generic drugs. I'll bet your copay for 3rd tier would be more than just buying either drug retail. Sounds like you are getting ripped off.

Debbie D 11-19-2009 12:51 PM

I take a generic form of Requip, which is a parkinson's medication approved for restless leg syndrome. It works fine as long as I take it on time. If I'm late, then I suffer leg movements until 1 or 2 am.
Baclofen? Really? I thought that was for spasms.

sabimax 11-19-2009 01:31 PM

my baclofen not third tier... I take for spasticity... good luck, sarah

doydie 11-19-2009 11:48 PM

Sorry for my misinformation. She did prescribe Baclofen and it does come in a generic so it is only $4. Clonazepam is not on the formulary for my new insurance. I am going to try the Baclofen and will stay on it if it works. But if it doesn't I kn ow that I can still get it at Sam's for a very reasonable price without insurance paying for it. Thanks

Riverwild 11-20-2009 02:13 AM

Infotidbit-
Medicare Part D also does not cover benzodiazepines.

That was the first thing that came to my mind when you mentioned that your insurance doesn't cover the clonazepam, because we have to pay separately when we pick up the man's meds. No clonazepam, no diazepam, no alproazolam, etc.

It has something to do with our illustrious leaders not wanting taxpayers to support drug addicts when Medicare Part D was first proposed...imagine that? Funny thing is they cover oxycontin and oxycodone, don't they? I don't know about anyone else's neck of the woods but the two drugs I listed are a much worse problem here than a few Xanax!.....(cougfreakinhippocritescough) :p

I take baclofen and at night I take tizanidine (generic Zanaflex) to relieve spasticity and RLS as a result of spasticity. It works well for me. I hope you find something that works for you.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes! :)

karilann 11-20-2009 09:39 PM

Leg Movement

I take both Baclofen and Requip. Requip was a God-send for the jumpy legs.

doydie 11-20-2009 11:37 PM

I set up my pill keepers for a full week so I will stat taking the Baclofen next Sunday. I hope it helps make me a little drowsy also.