NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   Smoothies? (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/109090-smoothies.html)

braingonebad 11-26-2009 08:47 AM

Smoothies?

Does anyone have good, healthy smoothie recipes to share? I need a change of diet (which is frozen food, lol!).

TIA!

mrsD 11-26-2009 09:03 AM

Think about adding whey protein... this is really a good way
to get aminos, and improve lean muscle mass (which we tend to lose with age). You can also sneak in Flax oil liquid and you won't taste it. It is a good way to get omega-3s.

One thing I added to smoothies, was a Sorbet for flavor.
Some of the upscale sorbets are really really good.
Pineapple juice and coconut milk (sold for mixing drinks--comes in a can--) are really good too. I use vanilla yogurt most of the time.

I haven't made these in a while... I should get back into it!
We did them alot when my son was home--experimenting was alot of fun. You can do fresh or frozen fruit of your choice.

ewizabeth 11-26-2009 11:55 AM

Hi Brain, :)

We make smoothies quite often now. I buy large bags of frozen cut up tropical fruit and large bags of wild blueberries. I throw in a little of each, half a banana and about a tablespoon of frozen orange juice concentrate. I add about a half cup of skim milk and blend. YUMMY!!! Sometimes I'll add a peeled and quartered apple too. :Starvin:

braingonebad 11-27-2009 07:05 AM

Can you add whey to anything, or can you taste it so maybe it's better with some things than others? Good idea adding the flax - they say O-3s absorb better with food anyway.

I was planning to make a serious go of this, like start with doing only smoothies for breakfast, then some lunches, see how that goes. So I am gonna look for stuff with veggies, try to get something both filling and nutritious.

mrsD 11-27-2009 07:58 AM

I use the vanilla whey. You can't taste it in any smoothie.
I found small tubs of it at WalMart. They had strawberry, vanilla and chocolate. Many whey sources sell in big jugs...which may be cost prohibitive for some people. I don't know if WalMart still sells it that way, as I haven't bought any for over a year now.

We liked our smoothies thick like shakes. So I used yogurt too.
I never used OJ, but did use pineapple juice to thin them some.
I also did them in stages, to help with mixing. I put the thickest item (banana) in first, then added the other things that were thinnner. I have a hand held wand and not a blender. It probably doesn't matter with a blender, or food processor as much.

We had alot of fun with them. And the smoothies were really delicious.

Kitt 11-27-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewizabeth (Post 593937)
Hi Brain, :)

We make smoothies quite often now. I buy large bags of frozen cut up tropical fruit and large bags of wild blueberries. I throw in a little of each, half a banana and about a tablespoon of frozen orange juice concentrate. I add about a half cup of skim milk and blend. YUMMY!!! Sometimes I'll add a peeled and quartered apple too. :Starvin:

Love your kitty:hug:

braingonebad 11-28-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 594163)
I use the vanilla whey. You can't taste it in any smoothie.
I found small tubs of it at WalMart. They had strawberry, vanilla and chocolate. Many whey sources sell in big jugs...which may be cost prohibitive for some people. I don't know if WalMart still sells it that way, as I haven't bought any for over a year now.

We liked our smoothies thick like shakes. So I used yogurt too.
I never used OJ, but did use pineapple juice to thin them some.
I also did them in stages, to help with mixing. I put the thickest item (banana) in first, then added the other things that were thinnner. I have a hand held wand and not a blender. It probably doesn't matter with a blender, or food processor as much.

We had alot of fun with them. And the smoothies were really delicious.

I love pineapple - in the can, no added sugar - so I may as well add the juice. Also want to try coconut milk. I like them with frozen yogurt but am gonna try regular yogurt since it's getting cold now.

I have a pretty serious blender - it'll chop ice. It handles frozen fruit fine if I mix some liquid in right.
Mine was on sale 40 down to 20. Nothing fancy, really old school with just high, low and pulse and glass pitcher, metal gears.

If you can't get something like that, they make a personal sized one somewhere that you can make one serving and drink out of the cup. Pretty slick! If I can find a link i'll post it.

chokato 12-23-2009 03:12 AM

I like to keep my ingredients simple.

I just use a cup of whatever frozen fruit I like frozen wild blueberries

A banana

Some plain yogurt and then I blend
It's really good and healthy and simple.

braingonebad 12-31-2009 10:21 PM

This is my fave lately - coconut milk, mandarin oranges and pink grapefruit.