NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Gabapentin (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/109494-gabapentin.html)

creative 12-02-2009 12:10 AM

Gabapentin

Just been prescribed Gabapentin/Neurontin for my Diabetic Neuropathy.

The side effects look daunting, anybody taking this and what to look out for.

Allan

mrsD 12-02-2009 08:24 AM

Alot of the Peripheral Neuropathy posters have experience with
gabapentin and Lyrica.

I'd suggest asking there too:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/fo...aysprune=&f=20

Scottish Girl 12-04-2009 02:54 PM

Gabapentin/neurontin

Hi Creative,

I was actually searching this forum for any info about Gabapentin. I've been taking it for 2 years now for Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I also take Nortriptylene and Tramadol. You'll probably hear and read all sorts of stories about Gabapentin, as I did, but here's my story.......

I worked my way up the dosage table and am now on max dose, have been for months and months. It DOES help my pain, however the side effects have been difficult to cope with at times. Off the top of my head the weight gain is the worst, followed by mood swings (ask my husband), and memory loss/confusion. The memory loss could also be due to the RSD though, so I'm not sure who's the culprit there. There are other side effects but these are the main ones for me.

Having said all of that though, you might not experience any of these, or only a few.

One other thing - don't give up after a few days or a week or so. It took me about 3 weeks to get over the nauseous, dizzy stage, but it DOES go away.

Hope that helps a bit. If you need to know anything else just ask. All the best. :)

bleusz 12-04-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creative (Post 595550)

Allan

Hey Allan,
I have been on Neurontin for about 2 or 3 years. I am also working my way up on the max dosage scale. The only side effect I ever had trouble with was drowsiness. When the doc would up the dosage it would take a few weeks for my body to get use to it and I didnt want to sleep all the time. It worked for me for the longest time but now I am having more problems with pain then before and I have been put on a fetynal patch along with neurontin.

Hope this helps you some. Any questions please ask.

Bleusz

creative 12-05-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleusz (Post 596680)
Hey Allan,
I have been on Neurontin for about 2 or 3 years. I am also working my way up on the max dosage scale. The only side effect I ever had trouble with was drowsiness. When the doc would up the dosage it would take a few weeks for my body to get use to it and I didnt want to sleep all the time. It worked for me for the longest time but now I am having more problems with pain then before and I have been put on a fetynal patch along with neurontin.

Hope this helps you some. Any questions please ask.

Bleusz

Thanks for the replies, I am only on Day 3 of the meds so far only slight dizziness.
My DD said to take the meds after food, but the most pain I get is at bedtime and have difficulty actually getting in and out of bed.
Would it be better to take them just before sleep once they have been introduced properly into my system.
Allan

Scottish Girl 12-05-2009 02:15 PM

Gabapentin

I take mine 3 times a day, morning, late afternoon and night. I usually take the night time ones about an hour before bed, so that they have a chance to work and I get the full benefit. :)

sabimax 12-05-2009 10:52 PM

been on for year or more for tingling pain with numbness... it works for me well...feel the numb feeling but not thing tingling neuropathy pain..yeahhh

I have not had weight gain due to the medicine... and once body used to it... (like some said at first you may feel off or dizzies but it subsides) I do not notie side effects. I have memory issues shown on testing I had, before the medicine so I can not tell if it has affected my memory.

good luck, it helps my pain and hoping it helps yours as well... I take it three times a day... morn/ afternoon/ night good luck, sarah

bleusz 12-06-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creative (Post 596838)
Thanks for the replies, I am only on Day 3 of the meds so far only slight dizziness.
My DD said to take the meds after food, but the most pain I get is at bedtime and have difficulty actually getting in and out of bed.
Would it be better to take them just before sleep once they have been introduced properly into my system.
Allan

I take mine before I eat at breakfast, lunch, and then I take them before bed whether I have eaten or not.

I tell you it takes time for your body to get used to it. Please be patient with the meds.

brainiac 12-12-2009 12:03 AM

Side Effects

Quote:

Allan

I am currently taking Gabapentin, and the dosage was just increased from 200mg per day to 400, with the low dosage I felt nothing at all, but I did have and do have trouble sleeping and I have gained some weight, it also makes me sleepy, but everyone is different, my NS said that it's best to start out very low with the dosage and increase it very gradually, hope thia helps!

ab52 01-06-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Allan

Just about finished quitting Gabapentin again. Tried to replace methadone but not with this stuff. Major headaches and swollen lymph nodes chest to tounge. Be carefull withdrawing from this stuff, has to be done very gradual or you can end up in life threatening withdrawals.

Good luck