NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   OT but does anyone know about becoming a SSDI advocate? (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/109572-ot-becoming-ssdi-advocate.html)

Jim091866 12-02-2009 11:35 PM

OT but does anyone know about becoming a SSDI advocate?

Hey, does anyone have any input as to the requirements to be a social security advocate? Qualifications, testing, certification, costs, etc. I have been asked by many people to help them in one way or another and always refer them to a local advocate but then I thought, heyyyy.... Thanks. The one thing I'd be worried about is could you be sued for some sort of misrepresentation if you let's say didn't file someone's case in timeline or not have the money to file a case ( I don't know what you could incur as far as expenses like court costs, etc. ) Just gettin some information gathered. :rolleyes:

chasmo 12-03-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim0918 (Post 595975)
Hey, does anyone have any input as to the requirements to be a social security advocate? Qualifications, testing, certification, costs, etc. I have been asked by many people to help them in one way or another and always refer them to a local advocate but then I thought, heyyyy.... Thanks. The one thing I'd be worried about is could you be sued for some sort of misrepresentation if you let's say didn't file someone's case in timeline or not have the money to file a case ( I don't know what you could incur as far as expenses like court costs, etc. ) Just gettin some information gathered. :rolleyes:

your case is h eard before a Social Security judge in a Social Security court. (if you appeal your case workers decision)
your neuro's letter to S.S. is the single most important piece of the process. the second thing's your S.S. doctor exam. I'd suggest that you go to that exam unmedicated, so they can see you at y our worst. IT is VERY important that you NOT drive yourself to any of the interviews! THey WILL ask!! Mine went smoothly, and yours should too.

Charlie

Jim091866 12-03-2009 10:26 PM

thanks

chasmo, I think you may have been confused. I'm considering becoming an advocate.. I've had 2 friends that i've helped through the process and a few others are inquiring.

chasmo 12-03-2009 11:37 PM

nope, not confused

just giving you some facts about my process
Binder and Binder attornies group will represent yo u for all your back benefits, which can be substantial.

PD is recognized as a disability is a given, disease now with the SSA.

Charlie

GO for it!! Just be sure that a lawyers license is not required by anyone.
I'd also think about liability insurance in case one of your clients decides you were at fault for their failure to get their disability.