NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Question about flying (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/109816-question-flying.html)

tysondouglass 12-06-2009 11:04 PM

Question about flying

Im going on a trip soon. (On private jet) Its about a 4 hour flight, and i find myself getting very tired, and as you guys know short of breath in air.

Im wondering if it was advisable to buy an oxygen tank to use while in flight to help my lungs?

Just like a small one, in case i starting going into resp. attack, which has happened.

Thanks for any advice.

AnnieB3 12-07-2009 12:00 AM

The only doctor (usually) who can prescribe oxygen is a pulmonologist. Have you gotten one yet? ;)

I'd be concerned about you flying so soon after a crisis. Is it a necessary trip?

Annie

Joanmarie63 12-08-2009 02:55 PM

If you are not doing well with your MG than I would not fly. I myself have lost count on how many flights I have taken and thankfully never had a problem with breathing but than again, I never flew when I was doing bad. Good luck and I hope all goes well.

Pat 110 12-08-2009 03:43 PM

If you are able to postpone the trip, it might be a good idea. You aren't totally back on your feet yet, so it sounds a little risky to me. Whenever I fly my MG symptoms are kicked up a notch especially if I'm tired or stressed. Take care.;)

Hugs,
Pat

AnnieB3 12-09-2009 12:10 AM

Tyson, I need to add something. If you are having trouble breathing out, or in, oxygen can be problematic. You can actually get too much oxygen in your body, which isn't good either. You have to be under the care of a pulmonologist so that they can guide you in any use of oxygen. Oxygen is a "drug" too and should not be just taken "because."

Annie

tysondouglass 12-09-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieB3 (Post 597905)
Tyson, I need to add something. If you are having trouble breathing out, or in, oxygen can be problematic. You can actually get too much oxygen in your body, which isn't good either. You have to be under the care of a pulmonologist so that they can guide you in any use of oxygen. Oxygen is a "drug" too and should not be just taken "because."

Annie

Thanks everyone for the responses, it really helps. If I don't go on this trip I will b at my house alone, not sure which is better. But it is on a private Jet which makes things easier. Though I have contacted my neurologist at the hospital and got him to refer me to a pulmonologist. I should be getting a call today or tomorrow for an appointment. And he said he would clear me as okay to fly or not.

Thanks for your concern everyone.

Hope your mg is treating you somewhat well today

Pat 110 12-09-2009 02:18 PM

Good for you! I hope the appt. goes well and you are cleared to fly. I'm pulling for you.;)

Hugs,
Pat

suev 12-09-2009 02:28 PM

I hope you get to go on your trip too! Especially since it would not be good for you to be alone - - and not just because of Holidays!!

Besides, it will be good for you to have an ongoing consult from pulmy.

I have crossed fingers for Good Luck fo You!
Sue

redtail 12-09-2009 09:08 PM

Hi Tyson,

hope all works out well and you get to go on your trip.
Kate

tysondouglass 12-10-2009 11:20 AM

Well, heres another update. I contacted the Neurologist at UNC who had been taking care of me during my crisis the past week. And he said i should not go see a pulm. He said to just go see my Neurologist, and get cleared to fly.
I guess im okay with that?