NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   To take Lyrica or not (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/111043-lyrica.html)

filipe 12-24-2009 10:26 AM

To take Lyrica or not

Hi,

What do you think of Lyrica? Do you think the benificts compensate its side effects? My Dr told me I have to break the cycle of pain. I think like mrs D said, brain learns pain. There are times that when I think of the pain I start feeling it. Other times when i get excited, or afraid, it somehow seems to triggers the pain.

mrsD 12-24-2009 10:42 AM

The choice is yours. Some people do well on Lyrica and others don't. I think you should try it.

Just like you learn the fingerings on your guitar and keyboard, the brain makes paths to be more efficient. You learn to drive the same way. Well, pain, makes a path too. Already the doctors are mapping it, and I have seen diagrams of it. It involves serotonin receptors, and that is why antidepressants are used.

You might do well with yoga, or meditation. This trains the brain to relax and focus elsewhere.

filipe 12-24-2009 10:58 AM

Thank you Mrs D. You are always there. How can you? :)

Dhreg 12-27-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filipe (Post 603229)
Hi,

What do you think of Lyrica? Do you think the benificts compensate its side effects? My Dr told me I have to break the cycle of pain. I think like mrs D said, brain learns pain. There are times that when I think of the pain I start feeling it. Other times when i get excited, or afraid, it somehow seems to triggers the pain.

I too can think of the pain and all of a sudden it seems i caused it by thinking of it . This usually happens when i am trying to lay down to sleep . I take the max allowed of lyrica which is 600mg a day and take morphine with it . I am told that they do not understand yet why low dosage of opiates (morphine) works so well with lyrica to dull the pain . But as long as it works . I am also told lyrica causes weight gain but havent experienced it yet . The only real side affects for me are memory loss and retaining water in my feet and legs . My feet and legs below the knee swell up huge when sitting up and not exercising enough . They usually recede when laying down or having feet propped up . Hope this helped ya .

filipe 12-27-2009 01:35 PM

Hi,
But your NP is confirmed by tests and exams, right? Is your pain permenent? It seems like I'm the one that triggers my pain...

Kathi49 12-27-2009 02:29 PM

Filipe,

Mrs. D. is right...it is called Central Pain Synrome OR Central Sensitization. I have the former. I tried Lyrica many times and couldn't handle the side effects. HOWEVER, I found out more recently because of my hypersensitivy meds I can take it every other day or every two days. Anyway, as Mrs. D. said...it works for some and not as well for others. But when I have taken it, it DOES work! Right now I am out of Lyrica. In any case, Metanx (super hyped Vitamin B) is another one my Neurologist and Podiatrist mentioned. It works well too but I get hyper as heck on it. So, once again they said try it every other day. Also, if I keep my stress levels way down, I don't seem to have much of a problem with the "burning" sensations and can manage it. And I definitely think there is something to distractions....concentrating or focusing on something else. THAT helps me the most. And even though I hate to bring this up, I noticed it most when my stepfather passed away in November. I was focusing much, much more on supporting my mother, that I noticed I had no pain at all at least not physical pain. At least not during the week he had passed. It was really odd but again I think it was because my focus was in the forefront and my pain must have been hiding in the background. That's the only way I know how to put it. I wish you luck and I WOULD just try the Lyrica. Just be prepared for dizziness for the first 3 or 4 days. But it SHOULD pass.

filipe 12-27-2009 02:33 PM

In your case is your NP confirmed by exams? How much do you take of Lyrica?

cyclelops 12-27-2009 02:44 PM

I would be careful what you are mixing with Valium. I thought Valium relieved your pain. Adding drugs just complicates diagnosis. Many tests for neuropathy are not accurate when you are on drugs.

I would think that diagnosis should take priority.

I am sure there is some European center that specializes in neuropathy, and does skin biopsy.

BTW, my daughter in law speaks Portuguese.

Trishann 12-28-2009 10:34 AM

Usually a busy day you do ignore the pain as much as you can just to have double trouble when you relax. Pain is screaming at you and if you don't take care of it, you will have a relapse of days of trying to get better.

Taking your mind off of it as long as you are being cautious and don't over do it. :grouphug:

JoshuaY46012 12-28-2009 01:31 PM

Filipe,

Why not try this medication? What if it helps your pain?