NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   new foot numbness (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/112097-foot-numbness.html)

blackgrapes 01-10-2010 10:55 PM

new foot numbness

Hi, I'm Heidi. I have a question.
I am a type 1 diabetic (for 25 years) and on an insulin pump. I have already been diagnosed with PN and autonomic neuropathy. The question I have is that about 3 weeks ago, my left foot got much worse. I have always had numbness and poor circulation but now it feels as if I am walking on a Huge wad of gum or like my sock is all bunched up at the ball of my foot. It is constant. There is no pain, swelling or discoloration. I say no pain because I take Cymbalta. without Cymbalta I do feel pain and burning in my feet but I haven't felt any ADDITIONAL changes in pain. Just this completely annoying sensation. Has anyone slse felt this feeling and what was the diagnosis. Is this just the neuropathy getting worse? fun fun fun. Any advice or comments are welcome!
Thank you.

Raglet 01-10-2010 11:05 PM

hi Heidi

Yes, it does sound like your neuropathy has progressed - I had pain initially, but now my feet are numb (and actually pretty numb up to my knees, especially on the left side). I have sensori-motor axonal neuropathy, so I have motor involvement as well. It is part of my lupus.

I can totally identify with that bunched up sock feeling, that's how it started for me, I thought that my socks were getting scrunched up under my toes.

Do you have a neurologist? If so, it maybe it's time to schedule an appointment. Personally I prefer numbness to pain anyday.

hth

raglet

JoanB 01-11-2010 11:54 AM

Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about, Heidi. In my case, it's only with my left foot and I had that sensation years before the pain in my toes, so it wasn't about getting worse for me. I've been told that Morton's Neuroma can also cause this sensation, but a doctor can easily diagnose that by squeezing the ball of your foot in a certain place--it will cause intense pain if that's the problem.

I guess not much of that is helpful to you except to know that it's a common feeling for people with PN.

cyclelops 01-11-2010 01:02 PM

My foot pain is more aching bone like pain (autoimmune neuropathy, not diabetic)....and I feel like I am walking on an air mattress. Also if I rest my foot on the base of the desk chair, when I get up, that sensation is in my feet for several minutes. I feel like I am walking with the chair base stuck to the bottom of my foot.

Sorry to hear you are having increased symptoms.

SeamsLikeStitches 01-11-2010 03:24 PM

I'm chiming in.....

I've been getting that feeling too.... It's more recent for me. I've had the same type of Neuropathy as Cycleops has... and I have stopped many times to see if my socks are bunched up. It's frustrating! :eek:

And I get cold spots on my legs sometimes too, like there is a wet spot on my pants or something... on the side of my leg, or my knee... too weird!

cyclelops 01-11-2010 04:06 PM

I also get that very tight kneesock feeling....with a very, very cold sock! Feels like ice. I have a hunch that this is vasculitic....the cold thing, that is.

Ah, the joys of neuropathy. To think it is just all messed up electrons and protons......

kimshook 01-16-2010 11:16 PM

numbness

hello im a 35 yr old female i have had crps for 2 yrs an the week of dec 1 i lost all feeling in my left foot an the outer part of my leg i cant move my toes at all an now i have trouble swolowing they have done emg please someone let me know if you have any idea what could be going on i have no back pain i stumble an trip an lose my balance i get muscle cramps often all on the same side

shiney sue 01-17-2010 08:16 PM

Hello

Wow 25 so ypung,I hope you have some insuranace for a Meour. I could say what i think but i could be so wrong. We cpuld find a Nuero in you area if you want.If this continue;s please go to a ER at a teaching.hospital

Yes I have the some problems as C and Stiches plus Diabectics,have the same feelings as they do. I'm on Ivig and it helps me so much,by the way my Dr. said she has seen more remissons with the use of IVIG trcrntly why not
sure,if your on the infusions remeber to drink lots of water or fluids to prevent dehydration..

I have butted in enough,but any of you who have used cymbalta,has there been any diarrhea,or thowing up so on. Oh and womcome to all new ones.
The snow has melted but dark outside. Bless youu all , Sue

mrsD 01-18-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimshook (Post 611289)
hello im a 35 yr old female i have had crps for 2 yrs an the week of dec 1 i lost all feeling in my left foot an the outer part of my leg i cant move my toes at all an now i have trouble swolowing they have done emg please someone let me know if you have any idea what could be going on i have no back pain i stumble an trip an lose my balance i get muscle cramps often all on the same side

That is pretty severe IMO. I hope you see a doctor ASAP.
Losing both motor and sensation is not a good sign.

Trouble swallowing is a serious symptom. Please see a doctor ASAP.