NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   So, I got a tattoo..... (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/112154-tattoo.html)

cindi1965 01-11-2010 07:59 PM

So, I got a tattoo.....

1 Attachment(s)
It's taken me years, but the other day I go a tattoo on my unaffected leg....the endorphin rush was unbelievable!! I had not pain while getting inked..NONE!!!! It was better than any painkiller I have ever had. The endorphins lasted for over six hours and I didn't have to take pain meds that night....crazy, huh.

Now, since that has passed the cold weather here has put my right arm and left leg back in pain mode. I guess I will end up being the tattooed lady on my right side as long as it's not affected.

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but the guy that I went to uses 9 needles and he said that the fewer needles the more it would hurt....it was pleasantly surprised with the out come :D

msdrea83 01-12-2010 03:55 AM

i've gotten 4 tattoos since getting rsd. and none of them have cause a spread or hurt any worse than the first one i got, or more so than what is expected. i never have gotten one where my rsd is... i think that's just suicide. i have also gotten several piercings and have had no long last effects from them

RNcrps2 01-12-2010 08:15 AM

Cool tattoo! How did you decide on the spot? For years I have gone back & fourth as to what to get & where but could never make up my mind. Then when I got RSD I thought I would never be able to get one. Question for you & msdrea-was your rsd spread before you got the tattoos? or is your rsd in one limb? Take care. momof4

kathy d 01-12-2010 04:11 PM

Cool! I was supposed to get one with my son when he turned 18 but now he is 21 and I never got it because I got RSD instead. I often wondered if I could. But like someone just said I never know what to get or where to get it. Of course now it would have to be on my left side since that is the better side of both. I was thinking maybe after I get Ketamine done but then I thought it would make it come back. Who knows. But you are a brave soul for getting it done. I have a problem with sound and vibrations...do you? IF so, how did that feel when you were getting it? Best of luck with your new tat.
kathy d

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindi1965 (Post 609525)
It's taken me years, but the other day I go a tattoo on my unaffected leg....the endorphin rush was unbelievable!! I had not pain while getting inked..NONE!!!! It was better than any painkiller I have ever had. The endorphins lasted for over six hours and I didn't have to take pain meds that night....crazy, huh.

Now, since that has passed the cold weather here has put my right arm and left leg back in pain mode. I guess I will end up being the tattooed lady on my right side as long as it's not affected.

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but the guy that I went to uses 9 needles and he said that the fewer needles the more it would hurt....it was pleasantly surprised with the out come :D

momzpeachy 01-12-2010 08:04 PM

I was actually thinking about posting a question in regards to tattoos. I like the tattoo btw! I have one myself ..lower back and absolutely love it! I got it several years ago before all this mess started. I have wanted to get another one but now I don't think it's a good idea. My husband feels it's probably a really bad idea. I have full body RSD and not sure if a tattoo would be a good idea. Would it make the flare worse? I would think so. I haven't been able to ask my Dr yet. I kinda just figured it was out of the question completely being it's a painful thing (even though my first one didn't hurt) and pain with RSD is a BAD thing. So my question is..if you have full body RSD..can you get a tattoo? Also just having it on one side..be careful because remember...our brains process everything as PAIN and pain on top of pain...UGG

cindi1965 01-12-2010 11:12 PM

I got the tattoo on that particular spot because it doesn't "mirror" my affected leg. I figured that I was having pain anyway and my brother said that it would give me relief. It only hurt when he put the initial needle in...the music was my choice and I picked bands that I liked and never even heard the needles. At the end I had to sit there and wait because I was totally high from the endorphins...

My left leg and right arm are the only limbs involved,so I decided to take the plunge...It really was a great experience. I was soooo prepared to come home and take some pain meds, but I didn't have to. It felt like a great massage, because of the amount of needles. I have had no side effects, except it gets a little dry and I have to moisturize it a lot.:)