NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Acupuncture? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/112386-acupuncture.html)

jayhybrid 01-14-2010 10:45 PM

Acupuncture?

Has anyone tried it for treatment of post concussion headaches? I'm exhausted from these chronic dull / pressure headaches.

Linda (Mom) in CT 01-15-2010 07:04 PM

Acupuncture

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayhybrid (Post 610624)
Has anyone tried it for treatment of post concussion headaches? I'm exhausted from these chronic dull / pressure headaches.

Hi, - I'm exhausted too - from looking and not finding the answer.

I have been looking for natural therapy for my daughter with PCS and I recently found Kathleen Bynum, in Dallas TX. She claims to have been helped herself by the acupuncture and also helped her patients recover from PCS headaches. Check it out.

Also, I'm looking into Dr. Walker, in TX who is a neurologist who uses QEEG-guided neurofeedback for PCS.

Also, I had good success myself with acupuncture recovering from a difficult entire left side back injury. My daughter refuses to do the needles although they rarely hurt and if they do she removes them and reinserts. She just started acupressure with this doctor in CT.

Linda (mom) in CT

nancys 01-15-2010 08:45 PM

About two weeks into the concussion, we attempted accupunture. It freaked my daughter out. I knew she didn't like having her blood drawn, but I didn't realize that it would extend to all needles. Once she got upset, there was no convincing her to try acupressure.

tinglytoes 01-16-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancys (Post 610961)
About two weeks into the concussion, we attempted accupunture. It freaked my daughter out. I knew she didn't like having her blood drawn, but I didn't realize that it would extend to all needles. Once she got upset, there was no convincing her to try acupressure.

Hi just to chime in, I don't have the exact issues you mentioned. However I believe I am still alive due to weekly treatments. There are alternatives to needles for kids. There are gentle textured rollers which stimulate the meridians in arms and legs. There are small electrical stimulation pads with low voltage current, there is moxa,[ heat], and my favorite, cupping. All great alternatives to needles. I also had a 6 months of scalp needles weekly for post stroke tx which truly helped. You can even leave them in for a couple days. Balancing the meridians feels so good it is worth getting used to the process on a regular basis. Good luck. Oh and if the practitioner uses ultra thin needles it helps a whole lot! Best Wishes TT

Hockey 01-18-2010 07:11 AM

Sadly, the wonderful PT who does my accupucture doesn't think it's really all that effective for that brain injury headache most of us get around the temples and eyes. However, I do find that the accupunture can relax me. If I can keep my blood pressure down, that does at least seem to dull the headache a bit.

Nancy, I'm sorry that the procedure frightened your daughter. Do you have a TENS machine? You can apply the pads to the accupuncture points and get quite good results.

The standard drugs like amitripyline (sp?!) didn't help me. (I also have a seperate headache caused by a spinal injury.) I find I have to revert to the old-fashioned and time consuming methods for any relief: ice on the back of the neck and a quiet, dark room.

Good Luck

goodscout 01-26-2010 08:20 PM

no great results fromaccupuncture

Hi. I too was looking for alternative sources of treatment (and posted about 18 months ago under this heading). I tried accupuncuture, sacral-cranial therapy, chiropractor and and PT. The chiro and PT made it worse. The only things that have worked for me are a nightly dose of nortriplyline, good night's sleep, omega 3 supplement, anti-oxident juices (natural ones without a lot of sugar). I hope you find some relief but the accupuncture did not really help.