NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   jerky movements, who has these? (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/112501-jerky-movements.html)

lurkingforacure 01-16-2010 04:14 PM

jerky movements, who has these?

This is not dyskenesia, it is more of the spastic, jerky movements I associate with MS. At first it was just at night, and I know that many many folks have jerks and twitches as they are about to fall asleep, so no big deal.

As we have progressed, though, they are coming during a full-awake phase, not even preparing to sleep. Think of an arm being flailed out, completely suddenly and randomly, just once, or a leg. It is so weird, and I have never heard anything about this with PD. Like I said, I have always thought these random, jerky flailings were more characteristic of MS, but we have PD....or, I should say, we have been told we have PD.

Anyone else have these, and if so, what do you do for them? We can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to when they occur. Thanks.

girija 01-16-2010 08:03 PM

lurkingfor cure,

I get spastic, jerky, random movements of my limbs for no reason (exactly as you describe) most often legs than arms though. There is no pattern or correlation to anything I do and these are g]osudden movements. So far havent done anything about them, Haven't even talked to my neurologists yet.
girija

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurkingforacure (Post 611183)
This is not dyskenesia, it is more of the spastic, jerky movementsThink of an arm being flailed out, completely suddenly and randomly, just once, or a leg. It is so weird, and I have never heard anything about this with PD. Like I said, I have always thought these random, jerky flailings were more characteristic of MS, but we have PD....or, I should say, we have been told we have PD.

Anyone else have these, and if so, what do you do for them? We can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to when they occur. Thanks.

reverett123 01-16-2010 11:56 PM

From wikipedia

Myoclonus (pronounced /maɪˈɒklənəs/) is brief, involuntary twitching of a muscle or a group of muscles. It describes a medical sign and, generally, is not a diagnosis of a disease. The myoclonic twitches are usually caused by sudden muscle contractions; they also can result from brief lapses of contraction. Contractions are called positive myoclonus; relaxations are called negative myoclonus. The most common time for people to encounter them is while falling asleep (hypnic jerk), but myoclonic jerks are also a sign of a number of neurological disorders. Hiccups are also a kind of myoclonic jerk specifically affecting the diaphragm. Also when a spasm is caused by another person it is known as a "provoked spasm". Shuddering attacks with babies also fall in this category.

Myoclonic jerks may occur alone or in sequence, in a pattern or without pattern. They may occur infrequently or many times each minute. Most often, myoclonus is one of several signs in a wide variety of nervous system disorders such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) and some forms of epilepsy. Some researchers indicate that jerks persistently may even cause early tremors.

paula_w 01-16-2010 11:59 PM

lc,

are you familiar with myoclonic jerks? I don't know if it happens often enough to even consider this, but here's the link:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/m..._myoclonus.htm

I'm pretty sure this can be temporary and med related.

paula

paula_w 01-17-2010 12:01 AM

head on collision of identical thought.

:)
paula

reverett123 01-17-2010 06:10 PM

good thing i had my intellectual seat belt fastened :D