NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   ALS (https://www.neurotalk.org/als/)
-   -   If your worried you have ALS (https://www.neurotalk.org/als/112688-worried-als.html)

Diogenes 01-19-2010 02:16 PM

If your worried you have ALS

If your worried you have ALS, there is another condition that has the same symptoms in the beginning. I can fool doctors at first.

The condition is Beneign Fasciculation Syndrome (BFS). there's a wiki definition and a forum. I was told I didn't have ALS 30 years ago, but they couldn't explain why I had early symptoms of it.

Now days more and more neurologist know about it (but defintely not all). If your getting checked for ALS or your neurologist think its unlikely, then ask about BFS

SecretAgentMan 07-03-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogenes (Post 612244)
If your worried you have ALS, there is another condition that has the same symptoms in the beginning. I can fool doctors at first.

The condition is Beneign Fasciculation Syndrome (BFS). there's a wiki definition and a forum. I was told I didn't have ALS 30 years ago, but they couldn't explain why I had early symptoms of it.

Now days more and more neurologist know about it (but defintely not all). If your getting checked for ALS or your neurologist think its unlikely, then ask about BFS

Hello, 31 year old male here. I was diagnosed with BFS and it turned out I actually had a food sensitivity that was causing the neurological symptoms, as crazy as that sounds. See my in depth post in the allergy section of this forum for my detailed story and experience. The food sensitivity was actually caused by another condition which is treatable. Others who are diagnosed with BFS, may have what I have. It wasn't easy finding answers.

Annie59 01-05-2011 06:31 PM

I was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis when I was admitted from a neuro appointment in 08. The 'usual' tests came back negative. But my breathing is an obvious sign of something. I have degraded alot and saw an ENT last week for what is happening my my throat, aournd losing ability to talk and that swallow is worse. He asked me if I was tested for bulbar ALS. I have to admit this scared me.

Annie59

Quote:

Annie59 01-20-2011 06:00 PM

I looked this up and honestly it doesnt fit. I had cogntive testing last year and no signs of anxiety or depression were found to respond to the anxiety issue. The pieces that fit with ALS are the very serious and real restrictive breathing disorder, muscles weakness and swallow talking problems that have recently taken a dive. Also Mayo clinic found that half my diaphrgam is paralyzed in Dec 08 which I why they questioned a diagnosis of MG.

Annie59

Quote: